Author Topic: Coburg news  (Read 76722 times)

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
Re: Coburg news, updates and reports
« Reply #375 on: October 07, 2010, 09:47:35 AM »
It may sound harsh but I hope no one from Coburg IMO. I just don't see anyone there as potentially AFL standard. Having said that Lawton could attract interest as a rookie as a young tall forward.

Yes to rookie list for Lawton. Might even be worth a very late pick in the ND depending on what's still available and how many positions we need to fill.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #376 on: October 08, 2010, 12:18:14 AM »
It may sound harsh but I hope no one from Coburg IMO. I just don't see anyone there as potentially AFL standard. Having said that Lawton could attract interest as a rookie as a young tall forward.

Yes to rookie list for Lawton. Might even be worth a very late pick in the ND depending on what's still available and how many positions we need to fill.
True Oiafi. It'll all depend on knowing how many other clubs are interested in Lawton and if there are any when they are likely to draft him. Last year we took Dea earlier at pick 44 instead of 51 because we heard Brisbane were planning to draft him at 47.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #377 on: October 12, 2010, 12:24:21 PM »
Just saw a tweet that Adam Potter has been appointed Coburg Senior Coach for 2011 & 2012.

Forgive my ignorance, who is Adam Potter?

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #378 on: October 12, 2010, 12:27:43 PM »
Just saw a tweet that Adam Potter has been appointed Coburg Senior Coach for 2011 & 2012.

Harry's dad
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #379 on: October 12, 2010, 12:32:42 PM »
Nah, Wayne, you're pulling my leg.  He was James  ;D

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #380 on: October 12, 2010, 01:17:32 PM »

Used to be Reserves Coach @ Coburg

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #381 on: October 12, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »
Adam Potter Appointed Coburg Senior Coach for 2011 & 2012

Following an internal review of the Richmond coaching structure, David Newett will be moving into a full time development / assistant coach with Richmond for the 2011 season. An impact of this restructure is that David Newett will not be coaching the Coburg Football Club in 2011. On behalf of Coburg I would like to wish David all the best in his new role and look forward to having him involved with the club over the course of next season

The Coburg Football Club has undertaken a targeted recruiting process which has resulted in Adam Potter

Adam has impressed the club with his enthusiasm throughout the interview process and is greatly looking forward to his return to the Burgers. Adam has a proven ability to meet specific criteria for coaching a senior VFL team including being appointed as the senior coach for 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Potter has developed a strong coaching CV over recent seasons including assistant coaching roles at Coburg Football Club under Andy Collins ( leading the reserves to the 2007 premiership), Jade Rawlings & Craig McCrae. In 2010 Adam took on the reserves & development coaching role at the Williamstown Football Club which included a Grand Final appearance for the reserves and a leading involvement in the player development program.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10471-0-0&sID=56260&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=13559076&sectionID=56260

==================

:clapping :clapping

Great news - why they didn't appoint Adam Potter last season after McCrae left beggars belief

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Adam Potter - new Coburg senior coach
« Reply #382 on: October 12, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »
Potter returns to the Coburg Tigers
by Patrick O'Meara
12 Oct 10

VICTORIAN Football League club Coburg Tigers have appointed Adam Potter as senior coach for the next two years.

Potter replaces David Newett, who stood down to take up an assistant coaching role concentrating on development with the Tigers’  alignment club Richmond.

Potter served as an assistant at Coburg under Andy Collins, Jade Rawlings and Craig MacRae, and coached the reserves to the 2007 premiership.

He spent last year at Williamstown, leading its reserves team into a grand final.

Tigers general manager Lee Fraser said the club went after Potter immediately after Newett decided to move full-time into AFL ranks.

He said Potter had been a standout candidate for the coaching job last year.

“Adam has impressed the club with his enthusiasm throughout the interview process and is greatly looking forward to his return to the Burgers,’’ Fraser said.

“Adam has a proven ability to meet specific criteria for coaching a senior VFL team.’‘

Coburg finished 11th on the VFL ladder this year with five wins.

http://moreland-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/potter-returns-to-the-coburg-tigers/

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #383 on: October 18, 2010, 11:25:38 PM »
Following an internal review of the Richmond coaching structure, David Newett will be moving into a full time development / assistant coach with Richmond for the 2011 season ... On behalf of Coburg I would like to wish David all the best in his new role and look forward to having him involved with the club over the course of next season
More a Richmond question than a Coburg one but was there anything more to this internal review? Any of the assistant coaches changing roles or was it simply Newett joining Tim Clarke as now a second full-time development coach?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Alliance with Richmond vital for Tigers' success, says Coburg coach (ML)
« Reply #384 on: October 19, 2010, 03:14:54 PM »
Alliance with Richmond vital for Tigers' success, says coach
Moreland Leader
19 Oct 10 by PATRICK O'MEARA

INCOMING Coburg coach Adam Potter believes combining the forces of the Tigers and AFL-affiliate Richmond is the key to success.

Potter was appointed coach of the Victorian Football League club last week after 2010 mentor David Newett was given an assistant coaching role at Richmond.

Newett was upgraded to the full-time position with the AFL Tigers after a review of their football department.

Potter was the prime candidate for the Tigers when they learned Newett would be taking an expanded role with Richmond.

Potter had served as an assistant coach under Andy Collins and Jade Rawlings, and coached the reserves to the 2007 premiership.

He moved to Williamstown this year, leading its reserves team to the minor premiership and a grand final appearance.

Potter said being a part-time coach, while teaching full-time, would be a challenge but he believed the main challenge would be to ensure the success of the Coburg-Richmond alliance.

“I will be looking to set up a structure where other coaches will be able to play major roles to ensure we are developing the young players, not only at Coburg but also from Richmond,” Potter said.

He said he believed with support from general manager Lee Fraser and football manager Craig Byron coupled with his experience with clubs with AFL alignments it would be possible.

“From the last five years I have an understanding of the alignments and how to make them work,” he said.

Potter has also been an assistant coach at the Western Jets and had his playing career cut short by a serious knee injury when he was 23.

The Ascot Vale based PE teacher had played in the Essendon District Football League, and from his teaching background held a natural desire to get into coaching.

He will shift his focus to monitoring talent at Coburg’s Rookie Day, where local footballers and Calder Cannons have the opportunity to try out for a place in the Tigers pre-season squad. The session will be held at Highgate Recreation Reserve, Craigieburn on October 27.

http://moreland-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/alliance-with-richmond-vital-for-tigers-success-says-coach/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #385 on: October 22, 2010, 07:09:58 PM »
Adam Potter Q & A
coburgtigers.com.au

1. Adam is what does it feel like to be back at Coburg and what lured you back?

The opportunity to coach the Coburg football club is something I am very excited about, I also feel very honoured to be given the opportunity to lead the club over the next two years. I am really looking forward to the pre season and all the planning leading up to the season to ensure we have a successful alignment with Richmond and a strong culture at Coburg. I am looking to set up a structure where we develop players from both the Richmond and Coburg list which leads to on field success.

3.What changes will you make both on and off field?

Being part time I am looking to set up a strong football department. It is important we have a structure in place that will lead to improvement on the 2010 season and facilitate opportunities for individuals to achieve within a team environment. On field we have already signed 14 players from this year and we are in the process of interviewing several young players who we think can have an impact in the development squad and at senior level. We will have clear expectations for players from both Coburg and Richmond which will assist in developing the Coburg football club moving forward.

4. How will it feel coaching inspirational leader Nick Carnell?

I am looking forward to working with Nick. He has become a quality VFL player and leads the club with  great passion. Nick is due to play his 100th game this year, which highlights the commitment he has shown to Coburg. I know the young players at the club look up to Nick and he leads by example on and off the field

6. Being a Part time coach, what is your full time employment away from Football ?

I am a Leading Teacher at Williamstown High School and work on a middle years campus overseeing student engagement and wellbeing. I teach in the areas of Physical Education and Sport Education. Coburg are very supportive and understanding of my full time work and Williamstown High School are also very supportive of my coaching. I will be looking to spend some time down at Richmond over the summer break and during school holidays to get to know some of the new Richmond players who have come to the club over the last 18 months.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10471-0-0&sID=56260&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=13638357&sectionID=56260

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #386 on: November 10, 2010, 10:38:48 PM »
Coburg FC Pre-Season Training Commences
Coburg Tigers website

Under the guidance of new Coach Adam Potter the Coburg Football Club commenced preparations for the 2011 season with their first training run at Highgate Recreation Reserve in Craigieburn. Over 70 players completed a series of gruelling time trials and skills work with a number of players standing out including Captain Nick Carnell, reigning Best & Fairest Sam Power, Justin Kahldefeldt, Damien Rayson & Ben Clifton together with recruits Luke Cartelli (Williamstown), Michael Tanner (Williamstown), Jayke Barrack (Bendigo Pioneers) and returning former Captain Travis Ronaldson.

The group also included over 10 players from the premiership winning Calder Cannons squad of 2010 together and a number of locals from the Essendon District Football League who are trialling for a spot on the list.... The Squad will continue training at Highgate Recreation Reserve, Punt Road Oval & the Melbourne Sports & Aquatic Centre over the course of the next 7 weeks leading into a short break over the Christmas period.

Coburg will commence it’s pre-season campaign against the Bendigo Bombers on Saturday 5th March at Highgate Recreation Reserve.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10471-0-0&sID=56260&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=13850019&sectionID=56260

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #387 on: November 11, 2010, 09:25:08 PM »
Coburg Tigers 2011 Practice Matches

Saturday March 5th Vs. Bendigo
Saturday March 12th Vs. Box Hill
Saturday March 19th Vs. Casey
Saturday April 2nd Vs. Sandringham

All Games To Be Played At Highgate Recreation Reserve Craigieburn

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #388 on: November 26, 2010, 08:00:18 AM »
I would expect for the 2011 season
Tuck. Newman. Moore. King. Foley. Jackson. Morton. Graham. Deledio. Grigg. Connors. Edwards. Riewoldt. Farmer. Gourdis. Cotchin. Astbury. Martin. Taylor. Griffiths. Will play for Richmond at the start of the year. Maybe conca and derickx too.

How do you the coburg side will look? Should they come top four, push for flag? Can you bet on vfl games?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #389 on: November 26, 2010, 08:24:08 AM »
Grimes. Thursfeild. Mcgaune.  
Batcholer. Rance. ORielly
Webberly. Contin. Nason.
Houli. Post. White.
McDonald. Vickery. Hicks.
Browne. Dea. Helbig.
Nahas. Miller. Westhoff. Hislop(?)/rookie

def: thursfield looks to be starting full back. Mcgaune needs to be picked ahead of gourdis, astbury, Moore to be in senior team. Rance is another who will make life hard for him. Oreilly and grimes Both for mine in best 22 but might start in ressies. Batcholar best player in best tac cup team so he should have big year coburg HBF

browne looks like he is good enough for this level. Any of browne/derickx/Graham should be trying develop if they find them self at this level. Vickery hoofully plays 60% of games forward line.
Contin is a solid player and looks fit. Helbig 85kg, 185. Dea maybe playing as a tagger, hard to fit him into backline. 3 big bodies.
White, houli, nason. Hicks. All goal kicking mids at vfl lvel

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:24:45 AM by Bentleigh-esque »