Author Topic: Coburg news  (Read 73409 times)

Tigermonk

Re: Coburg news
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2009, 01:50:55 PM »
Why is that TM, do you feel RFC should field its own VFL team?

yes l do
l beleive its holding richmond back

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2009, 02:00:10 PM »
I think the VFL isn't allowing any teams to do that for a while, TM.

Con65

« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2009, 05:55:31 PM »
yes l do

Is that because the coburg coach wants to coach a particular way which may not be consistent with the way the senior coach of RFC wants a player coached/developed?

Geelong field their own team in the VFL...does anyone else?

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2009, 06:12:34 PM »

The skunks.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2009, 06:14:26 PM »
yes l do

Is that because the coburg coach wants to coach a particular way which may not be consistent with the way the senior coach of RFC wants a player coached/developed?

Collingwood.

That is all I believe, but Carlton are pretty much in process of an attempted take-over of the Northern Bullants.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2009, 10:00:57 PM »
yes l do

Yeah, con. If you field your own team you have full control over selection policy. It allows you to sacrifice, for what of a better word, results for development or even just getting confidence back into players after drops in form or injury.

I understand the financial reasoning behind the move, but i always saw it as step backwards loosing the reserves.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2009, 11:06:46 PM »
Essendon were also trying to offload Bendigo.

We had Rawlings as Coburg coach so we can't blame different playing styles at VFL and AFL levels. Our younger guys also performed much better at Coburg as a team than when all the oldies who didn't give a stuff were sent back there.

Hawthorn won the flag while aligned with a crap Box Hill side. It didn't hamper them. If we want to point the finger then blame the local council who couldn't careless about their local VFL side. It would nice if they had over the years given financial grants to upgrade Coburg City Oval. At least next year half of Coburg's home games will be played at our Craigieburn facility. I'm guessing if we had our VFL side we would play all our home games there. Anyone got a spare $400-500k?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2009, 03:58:24 PM »
It's not so much a matter of blame, MT but just another piece of the puzzle. How much say does RFC have over selection policy at the moment?. I'm sure I've read here about listed players playing in Coburg seconds. Would that happen if RFC had total control over selection policies?

Even what position a kid is being played in is vital to his development. For example if you were trying to groom a draftee as a full forward, how long would coburg keep him in that position if he was inconsistant and they had an unlisted player they could rely on to kick goals regularly. Or alternatively a couple of young blokes are kicking goals for Coburg but the senior forwards were as well  :pray , while there was a deficiency in the backline. Who has the final say if RFC decide they want try one as a backman for a while? It must be a real balancing act for both parties as at times as they would have differing agendas.

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2009, 05:08:46 PM »
You would be surprised Al.

Richmond has a HUGE say over the way the players are played at Coburg.

If Richmond want something they get it basically.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2009, 05:41:38 PM »
So in effect TFL, Coburg are an extension of RFC rather than a seperate entity? Would those listed players lanquishing in the Coburg 2nds have been doing so with full approval of RFC?
(These are not rhetorical questions)
How does the set up work? Does Coburg elect their own board members, coaching, fitness staff, unlisted players etc?. Are they two legally distinct identities?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2009, 10:45:35 PM »
Potter was Coburg reserves coach wasn't he? Does that mean David Bourke will take over that role or have all the coaches except for Clarke left with the new coach coming in?

Don't think so I read in "Inside Footy" the other week that David Bourke has gone to Williamstown as well

So in effect TFL, Coburg are an extension of RFC rather than a seperate entity? Would those listed players lanquishing in the Coburg 2nds have been doing so with full approval of RFC?
(These are not rhetorical questions)
How does the set up work? Does Coburg elect their own board members, coaching, fitness staff, unlisted players etc?. Are they two legally distinct identities?

The Coburg Football Club is a separate registered company. The 2 clubs are distinct legal entities

Coburg have their own board elected by their members. Coburg has an alignment with Richmond which means that Richmond sends its players to Coburg to play in the VFL competition

The Coburg Football Club holds the licence to play in the VFL. The licences to play in the VFL competition are issued by AFL Victoria (VFL). As part of the licence Coburg must have it's own list of players to ensure it can filed 2 teams in the VFL (seniors & reserves)

Richmond does not hold a licence to participate in the VFL comp therefore at this stage they cannot field their own VFL team
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2009, 11:25:02 PM »
Thanks wp
As part of the licence Coburg must have it's own list of players to ensure it can filed 2 teams in the VFL (seniors & reserves)
Does that mean that the AFL clubs that have their own own VFL teams (Collingwood and Geelong?) have to also field a VFL reserves side as part of their license agreement?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2009, 06:37:25 PM »
As part of the licence Coburg must have it's own list of players to ensure it can filed 2 teams in the VFL (seniors & reserves)
Does that mean that the AFL clubs that have their own own VFL teams (Collingwood and Geelong?) have to also field a VFL reserves side as part of their license agreement?
Nup. The AFL clubs with their own VFL team (Collingwood and Geelong) don't field a VFL reserves side.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2009, 01:00:36 PM »
Nup. The AFL clubs with their own VFL team (Collingwood and Geelong) don't field a VFL reserves side.

Correct MT
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2009, 10:41:27 PM »
Rumour has it that the VFL fixture will be released sometime this week and Coburg is one of 3 clubs that won't be playing away up on the Gold Coast next year.