Author Topic: Welcome to Tigerland - Jordan McMahon and Mitch Morton  (Read 55193 times)

jackstar

Re: Welcome to Tigerland - Jordan McMahon and Mitch Morton
« Reply #450 on: June 29, 2008, 03:52:10 PM »
its refreshing to see a player such as morton who actually has a flowing kicking action when he lines up for goal...

Morton was real good yesterday, liked the way he kicked that goal outside 50.  He was well taught at West Coast, he hasnt caught the cancer yet of trying to hit up targets 10 metres ahead of him.
Just backs his own ability which is good, some of his team mates could learn from him but wont

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A tale of two former Eagles - about Mitch Morton (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #451 on: July 06, 2008, 05:48:51 AM »
A tale of two Eagles
Jay Clark | July 06, 2008

THERE is one simple reason for the decline this season of West Coast, according to former Eagle Mitch Morton - the loss of its captain Chris Judd.

Richmond recruit Morton says it is impossible to overestimate the impact of Judd's departure on the Eagles.

Morton, 21, failed to win the full backing of the Eagles' match committee, playing only 12 games in three years in the west, before his trade to Punt Road late last year.

The Claremont prodigy is an unabashed fan of his former skipper Judd and said he did not envisage the West Coast ship sinking as fast as it had.

"To be honest, I never saw it coming," Morton said of the Eagles' decline.

"But, in saying that, I probably understood a lot more than most people how much of a big factor the loss of Chris Judd was in the whole scheme of things.

"He is just such a fantastic player and he draws so much attention from the opposition and helps create and free up so many of his teammates.

"I have a lot of friends there (at West Coast) who I still stay in close contact with, so I wish them all the best."

Morton has thrived since crossing to Richmond, providing valuable full-time aerial support to Tigers' forward Matthew Richardson.

He has kicked at least one goal in eight of the nine games he has played for Richmond, hitting form with eight majors in his past two outings.

Morton will play against his former team for the first time next Sunday and, ironically, West Coast will view its former fringe forward as a major threat.

But Morton said he saw his return to Perth as more of a chance to help re-establish the Tigers' finals prospects - they sit six points outside the eight - rather than an opportunity to seek any personal revenge.

"I had a lot of opportunities to gain their faith (at West Coast) and I didn't, so I don't hold that against anyone," he said.

"That's just life and that's just footy, so I put my hand up and said it's not going to happen here, I moved on and best of luck to them.

"I'm looking forward to getting back to Perth, but at the end of the day I'm going over there to do a job, I'm just looking forward to getting it done."

A strong family contingent will support Morton.

He is the son of Claremont premiership defender Noel, and the brother of Jarryd (Hawthorn) and Cale (Melbourne).

While the emotion of such a high stakes game, on a personal level and team front, often has the potential to overwhelm youngsters, the refreshed forward said he was feeling better equipped, with 21 games under his belt, to perform at key times.

The disappointment of fading in the last term of the Tigers' loss to Carlton in their Centenary match last weekend has only fuelled his fire.

"I'm a big believer in judging myself when the game is on the line," he said.

"I guess in the last quarter I didn't have a massive impact, but I am starting to impact games when we need us to more.

"We need to bounce back as hard as we can and the fact that it is West Coast doesn't change my attitude at all.

"We believe if we play our best footy and we work hard, that we can play finals footy, but that is up to us over the next few weeks to prove that to people."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23976400-19771,00.html

Offline Sauce

• i wish i was
  • Premiership Captain
  • Ohhh must of eaten a bad curry!
« Reply #452 on: July 06, 2008, 11:11:30 AM »
goodbye pettifer morton is gonna keep his place in the side for ever.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #453 on: July 14, 2008, 03:36:53 AM »
The obligatory bump lol ...

I know the excuses that will be made (unaccountable woeful opposition etc) and I wasn't a fan of the trade but credit where credit's due for Jordie's game yesterday.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #454 on: July 14, 2008, 04:59:54 AM »

I know the excuses that will be made (unaccountable woeful opposition etc) and I wasn't a fan of the trade but credit where credit's due for Jordie's game yesterday.
Seems he's turning out to be not such a wasted pick after all  :thumbsup

jackstar

« Reply #455 on: July 14, 2008, 06:55:35 AM »

Seems he's turning out to be not such a wasted pick after all  :thumbsup

Moi, your last comment just shows how little you really know.
Even I will admit he went ok yesterday but to give up pick 18 for him was a disagrace.
Plays ok against ordinary opposition, where was he against Carlton. ?.  See whats happens next week or against a team actually above us on the ladder. He will go missing.   Give you a tip Moi, judge a player when he plays in a losing team , not a winning team.   Cotchin, Foley ,Lids Morton have performed extra well in losing teams, they are the future of punt road, not the Schulz, McMahon,

Offline shannon

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #456 on: July 14, 2008, 07:03:36 AM »
hey jackstar, you know i luv ya  ;D but we are playing a team below us on the ladder next week, not above us. iirc, we have not lost to a team below us this year, and last time we played the bombers jordy played real well.

btw, against the blues i thought jordy was far from our worst player
DELEDIO FOR CAPTAIN ASAP!

Moi

« Reply #457 on: July 14, 2008, 07:08:36 AM »
Give you a tip as well - give credit where it's due.
Jordy was good yesterday.
And discrediting people because they have an opinion, saying they know nothing about the game, just because you might disagree is laughable.
They're just opinions, Jack.
We can't all be wonderful forward scouts  ::) but we're entitled to comment if we wish.
If Selwood turns out to be a great player and Jordy doesn't, then the club and Miller and Wallace will have egg on their face.
Until then, Jordy's doing okay in my book.  He's had some disappointing moments, but who hasn't?  And I agree with you, he has to do more when he's playing in a losing team.  But so do they all.
It's not just about Jordy!

jackstar

« Reply #458 on: July 14, 2008, 07:09:03 AM »
Thats right Shannon, all i am saying see how he plays when he has to be accountable against quality opposition, we all know the answer to that :thumbsup

jackstar

« Reply #459 on: July 14, 2008, 07:10:54 AM »
Give you a tip as well - give credit where it's due.
Jordy was good yesterday.
And discrediting people because they have an opinion, saying they know nothing about the game, just because you might disagree is laughable.
They're just opinions, Jack.
We can't all be wonderful forward scouts  ::) but we're entitled to comment if we wish.
If Selwood turns out to be a great player and Jordy doesn't, then the club and Miller and Wallace will have egg on their face.
Until then, Jordy's doing okay in my book.  He's had some disappointing moments, but who hasn't?  And I agree with you, he has to do more when he's playing in a losing team.  But so do they all.
It's not just about Jordy!

I will get you a job if you want, :thumbsup
But you wouldnt want to work for another club.?

Offline shannon

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #460 on: July 14, 2008, 07:23:46 AM »
Thats right Shannon, all i am saying see how he plays when he has to be accountable against quality opposition, we all know the answer to that :thumbsup

i knew what you meant jack, just stirring ;D
DELEDIO FOR CAPTAIN ASAP!

Tigermonk

« Reply #461 on: July 14, 2008, 09:46:44 AM »
anyone who thought McMahon played well yesterday needs to be banned from watching football

33 possies
how many turnovers
his foot disposals lands at players feet or they must reach for the sky
If he was traded to fix our problem down there god help us cause his a dropkick short of the MCG  :rollin
my mates with me watching the game laughing at why we traded for him when there was far better options & younger players to draft
his aftermatch interview had them in stitches asking why he got interviewed when his a pooh player, that they should have interviewed Moore for his great game  :rollin

Morton what cant you say about this guy, he takes them on  :thumbsup has good hands & kicks the goals & also grabing his ex teammate pointing at the scoreboard was cheeky & a good laugh. Good future is this player

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #462 on: July 14, 2008, 10:15:48 AM »
anyone who thought McMahon played well yesterday needs to be banned from watching football

33 possies
how many turnovers
his foot disposals lands at players feet or they must reach for the sky
If he was traded to fix our problem down there god help us cause his a dropkick short of the MCG  :rollin
my mates with me watching the game laughing at why we traded for him when there was far better options & younger players to draft
his aftermatch interview had them in stitches asking why he got interviewed when his a pooh player, that they should have interviewed Moore for his great game  :rollin

Oh god, please dont tell me you think Bowden had a better day?   :shh  :whistle
EAT EM ALIVE!

Tigermonk

« Reply #463 on: July 14, 2008, 10:20:43 AM »
Joel was no standout player yesterday but at least he hits his target

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #464 on: July 14, 2008, 10:26:22 AM »
Joel was no standout player yesterday but at least he hits his target

I'd say Bowden turned it over more than McMahon yesterday and was less damaging in his style of play but each to their own.
EAT EM ALIVE!