Author Topic: Alex Rance [merged]  (Read 239754 times)

TigerTimeII

Re: Alex Rance [merged]
« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2009, 01:48:14 PM »
can a judgement be made on an 18-19 year old after 2 years in the AFL system?
Surely the next 2-3 years will tell the tale with him.One should expect significant improvement in that time.
I know he has areas of his game that are deficient but we must allow for maturity and development here

yes, history has shown if u cant kicl by 16/17 yoiu will never be able to kick

its not rocket science, these skills must be ingrained at a very early age, how many yrs do u have to perist with players that are clumsy and cannot hit targets

foley had poor disposal with the geelong falcons, he still has poor disposal and that is fact

how many yrs wa d kellaway in the system, never learned to improve is kicking

if u cant kick now u will never be able to kick

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #196 on: September 06, 2009, 03:02:41 PM »

Same old Richmond, had the chance to make a tough call but failed again. It's easier just to sit on our hands so we don't make any mistakes than put our balls on the line and try and make a difference.
Lets just keep the same players that did us so well this year!  :banghead

Our club is in the poo it is in because we continually look for the "wonder trade" that will deliver us salvation. Time to focus on drafting and player development rather than trading.
I didn't say i wanted a player for player 'wonder trade', an early draft pick is what i would have liked. At least looking into what we could have got for him would have been smarter than not looking at it at all.
And i agree we need to develop players better but sometimes these players just don't look like improving there kicking and decission making- both pretty hard to teach.
Anyway he has signed, so, so be it.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #197 on: September 06, 2009, 03:08:03 PM »
Not on the net but from Hutchy's column in the Sunday Herald-Sun...

WANTED TIGER

AN AGGRESSIVE bid from Hawthorn to lure Alex Rance has failed.

Rance late this week signed a new contract with the Tigers.

The 193cm midfielder backman had been one of several defensive targets for the Hawks, who are believed to have met the youngster last week.

The appointment of the hard-nosed Hardwick made re-signing Rance a far easier prospect.

Same old Richmond, had the chance to make a tough call but failed again. It's easier just to sit on our hands so we don't make any mistakes than put our balls on the line and try and make a difference.
Lets just keep the same players that did us so well this year!  :banghead

Are you privy to what the Hawks offered, are you? ::)
Not privy at all, just saying we should have looked at it before signing the guy for anther 2 years. Has he been that good that we shouldn't have even looked at it? Time will tell if it was a good move but imo i think he will be another hard at it bloke that cannot hit a target.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #198 on: September 06, 2009, 05:52:27 PM »
Gotta love the way some people offer 1 opinion, whatever that is! And cetain 'nuffers' like to go on and on and on about theirs! Think that shows who the real nuffers are. To early to call on Rance, some of you guys probably think you'd walk into a recruiting role or even senior coaching position  :rollin Get over yourselves losers ......

TigerTimeII

« Reply #199 on: September 07, 2009, 11:04:35 AM »
Gotta love the way some people offer 1 opinion, whatever that is! And cetain 'nuffers' like to go on and on and on about theirs! Think that shows who the real nuffers are. To early to call on Rance, some of you guys probably think you'd walk into a recruiting role or even senior coaching position  :rollin Get over yourselves losers ......

and its funny how some fheads think they are so clever but they are as intelligent as a bucket full of crushed crabs

facts are rance cannot hit targets by hand or foot and is clumsey. this has been ingrained in him and wont change esp under pressure

this is the problem with so many "intelligent" tiger fans, they overrrate our list and ability of each player!

it is only the so called "nuffers" that see it as it is

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2009, 03:31:08 AM »
Last night Caro on 3aw said Rance re-signed last Friday.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2010, 11:01:36 AM »
Tigers can see the light: Rance
richmondfc.com.au
By Chris Pike
Mon 26 April, 2010

ALEX Rance, who earned his stripes as a defender and is now learning the ropes as a forward, believes Sunday night's effort against Fremantle shows there is light at the end of the tunnel for Richmond.

That tunnel looked a long and dark one at times after losses to Carlton, the Western Bulldogs, Sydney Swans and Melbourne, but Rance hopes a five-goal to nil opening and encouraging performance against Fremantle at Subiaco Oval leads to more improvement.

"They are a very good side, but we did think they were gettable and that we could beat them with our game style. We are disappointed, but there are positive signs to take out of it," he said.

"There's just some little things letting us down. We can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, which is good, and our work is slowly paying off, but we'll take a win any day."

Rance was taken at No.18 in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft and it was last year he took the next step as a courageous defender, but coach Damien Hardwick has thrown him forward and it worked as he booted three goals.

He is enjoying the new role and is confident that with Jack Riewoldt and a good mix of first-year players down there that the forward-line can develop nicely.

"I will take a win over three goals any day, but it's starting to work better and I can use my tank a bit more by running the patterns," Rance said. "I'd like to think that I can play at both ends and that I can still have the aspect to my game where I can defend.

"Down the track I wouldn’t mind being thrown down back again, but at the moment being forward is good to me.

"We've got a lot of young names down there like Troy Taylor, Dave Astbury, Ben Nason and it's very exciting for the future and they have a bit of toe about them."

Rance was drafted from WAFL club Swan Districts so enjoyed the chance to return to Perth, but even though there were good signs against Fremantle, he was disappointed not to get the Tigers' first win of 2010.

According to Rance, the Tigers are looking forward to all challenges and there's none bigger than reigning premiers Geelong next Sunday at Skilled Stadium.

"We are relishing the challenges at the moment and whether we run out of gas or not, we'll just give it everything and if we can improve on one little thing then it's a win for us," he said.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/93049/default.aspx

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2010, 01:49:47 PM »
Great kick for goal but only received those shots from brave free kicks. If he is to become a legitimate forward he needs to learn how to lead up and take an over head mark though!

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2010, 02:16:42 PM »
Great kick for goal but only received those shots from brave free kicks. If he is to become a legitimate forward he needs to learn how to lead up and take an over head mark though!

That will come IMO stripes, like you said he is brave and we need players like that and how good was his kicking for goal, never looked like he was going miss. Really impressed me in this game.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2010, 02:48:24 PM »
The thing is he earned those free kicks and showed that he can kick straight.

I was one thinking that because of his disposal he didn't have much to offer, but his goal kicking showed that he may have something to offer after all.

Will be interesting to see if he can back up next week and start to provide a target up forward.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

TigerTimeII

« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »

maybe rance was not put fwd to be a leading target , we had riewoldt and astbury 4 that
maybe rance had a role to play defensive . fight hard to keep the contest in teh fwd 50, aspects which mitch morton is very poor at
in teh end we had rance , not as skilled as mortn but imo played a good game, i am a rance knocker but if he keep sthat up ,itch with struggle to get his spot back as rance can play tall and small and is defensively a goer, unlike mitch

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »
Rance was briefly on TAC Future stars with Hutchy, Plough, Kevin Sheehan and Dixon.

* Sees himself playing down back although he enjoyed his time up forward when he did.

* Knows he still needs to work on a few things at VFL level. Needs to work on his balance and decision making but his hardness and workrate is what he compensates his average skills with

* Polak is okay. Spoke to Polly today. He doesn't recall much of the incident.

* Plough said Rance set the example at training when he arrived. Asked Alex if he always had that strong work ethic as a junior footballers. Rance said he's not the most skillful footballer so he'll do whatever it takes to work harder than others and eventually get into the team.

* Dixon asked if Rance with his workrate could become a tagger as Ling did (Ling was a junior FF who became a midfield tagger) and Plough said yes. Club needs to find out where to play him.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:23:30 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2010, 06:52:13 PM »
Here's the video of Rance on TAC Future Stars today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbNjOmNWbFE

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2010, 07:33:05 PM »
Rance's footskills were the problem yesterday at Coburg. I thought his first half was good and he worked really hard across the park and to pressurise. Running off half-back though he kicked a couple of grubbers under no physical pressure :P. Poor footskills won't cut it at AFL level.

As a tagger Rance played on Goodes once with not much success from memory. I think it was one of those games at the SCG in the past couple of seasons that Goodes in his prime tore us to shreds out of the centre. Rance was younger and less experienced then though so maybe another attempt as a tagger may be worthwhile to see if he could play that role.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #209 on: August 21, 2010, 02:05:40 PM »
Craig Cameron said today on the radio that Alex had been squeezed out of our defence with the players we have in there. We've moved him around a fair bit this year. Over the preseason we plan to find him a position and settle him in there.