Author Topic: Picks 8, 26, 58 and 70  (Read 20892 times)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Picks 8, 26, 58 and 70
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2008, 08:52:09 PM »
I wish

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2008, 09:58:55 PM »
6 Carlton - Michael Hurley (192cm, 92kg, tall defender/forward)

I reckon this guy will be a slider.

Everyone will want to grab the best mids they can before the quality thins out.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Ramps

« Reply #182 on: November 26, 2008, 02:11:32 AM »
In peoples opinions - Could Hurley hold down CHF?

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2008, 01:33:04 PM »
I know a kid called Patrick Hayes who has trained with Richmond last season...I saw Ramps mention him somewhere here...he reckons he is a chance to be rookie listed by us, or possible pick 70...(or a 70+ pick in the draft)
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »
i just hope Richmond uses all four draft picks for 17/18 year olds. if we draft a recylced player, that is a disgrace! Richmond's problem has been drafting recylced players "hoping" to re-start their careers! never works!

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2008, 04:35:50 PM »
i just hope Richmond uses all four draft picks for 17/18 year olds. if we draft a recylced player, that is a disgrace! Richmond's problem has been drafting recylced players "hoping" to re-start their careers! never works!
What about Shane Tuck? Delisted by hawks,then playing in the SANFL.

Brent Guerra? Stewart Dew? Premiership team.

Never works ???   ???   ???   ???

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Richmond expecting the unexpected on draft day
« Reply #186 on: November 26, 2008, 04:36:06 PM »
Richmond expecting the unexpected on draft day

NICK Naitanui the slider on Saturday? Not going in the top three?

No, it's not likely, that's true, but it's an indication of the apparently bizarre scenarios that AFL clubs play with in the week leading up to the draft.

The Tigers were surprised when Alex Rance slipped through to No.18 last year, and the club is getting ready for more unexpected players slipping through this year.

Richmond recruiting manager Francis Jackson is living by the motto "expect the unexpected", and true to that, he's suggesting that while the club is preparing its "what-if" scenarios, there's already information suggesting an upset brewing.

"That's what we try and talk about this week, and that's what we're doing today," he said on Wednesday.

"There's something else that you wouldn't think possible, that mightn't be beyond the realms of possibility for Saturday.

"And that's why we like to be prepared and have everything down pat, because if you do deviate from your philosophy, sometimes you get pushed into decisions that you haven't given the correct amount of time to and you find yourself in trouble, so we try to cover all those bases.

"So there could be a possible upset in the wind, but I'm not even sure myself exactly what it is. But it could be."

The Tigers get to call their first number with the eighth pick, and Jackson said they were ready for anything after they got Rance at 18 last year.

"We've done our list and our priority order, but sometimes the unexpected might crop up – a player might slide dramatically that you hadn't really considered, and you would find it hard to believe someone might be there at, for instance, our pick eight, when they might be one of the top couple, or the same thing could happen in the second round.

"This is my third draft, and it's taught me to expect the unexpected.

"We play 'what happens if?' What happens if Naitanui falls to us?

"That's what happened to us last year with Alex Rance – we took him at pick 18 and clearly thought he'd be gone by then.

"That's part of the excitement of draft day – years of planning, and the unexpected can still jump up."

http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=70204
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
Sam Blease believes we'll go tall ...

Although his supporter heart lives at Punt Rd – Blease spent a week with the Tigers as part of the AIS/AFL Academy earlier this year – the schoolboy Richmond fan admitted he is unlikely to end up at the club.

“Yeah, [I’m a] pretty keen Richmond supporter. I’ve been a member for 10 years, so I think that could be over this year!” he said.

“They’ve got pick 8, so I think that’s a bit early [for me].

“And I think they’re after a ruckman and tall blokes, so if I grow 10 inches in the next couple of days then I might be a look in!” said the 184cm onballer.

http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=70210

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2008, 07:03:54 PM »
Kevin Sheehan's top 5 (he was just on SEN before)

1. Watts
2. Naitanui
3. Rich
4. Hartlett
5. Vickery

Let's hope he's wrong.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #189 on: November 26, 2008, 08:30:29 PM »
why hope he's wrong.

i'm sure sheehan isn't doing a mock draft, just his top 5 players in terms of ability, and since we're expected to get either vickery or hartlett, it's a great thing i would have thought

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #190 on: November 26, 2008, 09:40:05 PM »
National Draft

8 - Nick Nat ( Just one of those feelings i have ) / Vickery

26 - Shaun McKernan

58 - Adam Cockie

70 - B. Cousins

Rookie Draft

3 Mids
1 KPP
1 Ruck

The main reason i believe that we traded for Thompson is that RFC did not rate the midfield depth to be much chop around pick 42.
Cockie would be considered a bit of a project type.

Thus if we rookie 3 mids in the rookie draft they can slowly filter through if good enough when the more senior of the group start to depart.
Again with the KPP and Ruck in the rookie draft they could also be treated as projects that may or may not make it.

So in summary,

We load up with Ruck/KPP + KPP + Gun Mid + Project mid/forward loaded with potential.

3 mids to develop at VFL level and to prove their worth.
1 KPP Project.
1 Ruck Project.

Thoughts, Criticisms, Positives ( Be Gentle  :) )

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #191 on: November 26, 2008, 10:45:54 PM »
why hope he's wrong.

i'm sure sheehan isn't doing a mock draft, just his top 5 players in terms of ability, and since we're expected to get either vickery or hartlett, it's a great thing i would have thought
I meant I hope he's wrong in terms of the order and in terms of what other clubs are thinking. If most clubs above us think the same then we won't be getting either Vickery or Hartlett. If either one ends up at Tigerland by midday Saturday then I hope he's right in terms of quality as you say peggles.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #192 on: November 26, 2008, 11:15:13 PM »
National Draft

8 - Nick Nat ( Just one of those feelings i have ) / Vickery

26 - Shaun McKernan

58 - Adam Cockie

70 - B. Cousins

Rookie Draft

3 Mids
1 KPP
1 Ruck

The main reason i believe that we traded for Thompson is that RFC did not rate the midfield depth to be much chop around pick 42.
Cockie would be considered a bit of a project type.

Thus if we rookie 3 mids in the rookie draft they can slowly filter through if good enough when the more senior of the group start to depart.
Again with the KPP and Ruck in the rookie draft they could also be treated as projects that may or may not make it.

So in summary,

We load up with Ruck/KPP + KPP + Gun Mid + Project mid/forward loaded with potential.

3 mids to develop at VFL level and to prove their worth.
1 KPP Project.
1 Ruck Project.

Thoughts, Criticisms, Positives ( Be Gentle  :) )

I'd be very nervous if Nat fell to pick 8  :-\. Sure he could be anything but he's very raw. Hopefully Vickery will be around and the Tiger stars align.

I wouldn't be too disappointed with the next two. McKernan will have to play as a key forward though at AFL level as he's too short for a ruckman.

We won't be selecting Cousins. The club has ruled it out.

Very happy with your rookie plan. An underage Luke Thompson as Ramps wants would be a good rookie to go after if he's still around at our first pick in the rookie draft. Interesting to see who we invite down to Punt Rd on Sunday from the kids who miss out on getting drafted.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #193 on: November 27, 2008, 03:53:59 AM »
Emma Quayle was on Sport 927 yesterday discussing the draft. Here's the audio link:

http://www.sport927.com.au/gateway/Daily_Audio/Sound%20Grabs/EQ_261108.asx

Her latest top 10 discussion. No mention of pick 8 but she believes Port will take Hartlett.

1. Melb - Watts
2. WCE - Naitanui
3. Freo -  She still thinks it will be Stephen Hill but she has 4 versions of the draft. Freo may play it safe and go for Rich.
4. Port - Hartlett. Believes this will happen.
5. Ess - Make their mind up the day before. Out of 3 (Yarran, Sidebottom, Hurley). Believes they will go outside Rich or Hill.
6. Carl - Rich if he falls. Hurley if Rich is gone. Gut feel is Hurley will end up at Carlton.

9. Roos - Hurley if he's still around after Carlton.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #194 on: November 27, 2008, 08:34:53 PM »
Rumour on bomberblitz that with Freo selecting Hill, if Hartlett goes to Port they will take Rich but if Port choose Rich then they'll grab Vickery.

http://www.bomberblitz.com/forum/index.php?s=d4a0f69546560cb51f5143cdd8baa00b&showtopic=46068