Author Topic: Picks 8, 26, 58 and 70  (Read 23264 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Picks 8, 26, 58, ...
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2008, 12:35:13 PM »
I'm worrying that we are heading down the Doggies path - a team of great mid-fielders with no quality talls anywhere! I know we have far more up and coming potential talls than the WB but we need to look beyond the middle and to our deficences. We are desperate for good ruckman to at first act as a second ruckman and then eventually take over the mantle. Our current ruck stocks are speculative at best and it is a far cry to expect two of them to come through and be able to compete with 200+ ruckrovers.

We need to get the best ruckman we can get and if Vickery is already gone we need to ensure we get the next best. Our list is developing nicely but I fear unless we ensure we have ruckmen to get it down to our midfielders we will never get anywhere - we all remember 2007 when Simmo and Knoble went down...

Stripes

I think we are almost there with our midfield but I still think one more with our first pick is the way to go.  Then it is time to work on KPP's, rucks and talls as you have said Stripes. We may still need a quality go to KPP in the forward line, come on Clever shine in 09.

I worry, considering this is the last untampered with draft, that if we don't get a quality ruckman now we may miss the boat and have to settle with Gus, Patto and ilk. The only way we will get a good ruckman in the future is through trades which you can only ever hope to break even with but considering how desperate for a ruck we will be, will most likely lose out on. Picks are going to be even more valuable in the future so we really need to make sure we have all the crutial positions across the ground covered now.

Just my take

Stripes

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2008, 07:57:24 PM »
A key forward / ruckman for me with the first pick- Tregrove Hurley, Mckernan and Vickery would all fit the bill. Roughhead, Johnston or any other the bigger boys that slip through with our second and I will be excited.

The forth pick can be used for whoever slips through - happy if its the best mid left 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2008, 08:16:46 PM »
List of possible first picks for each club

Adelaide - Phil Davis (key def)
Brisbane - Stephen Hill could be a look at 7.
Carlton - Hurley (key def)
Coll'wood - Sam Blease with first pick (similar to Thomas)
Essendon -  Sidebottom (tough inside mid to complement their outside runners)
Fremantle - Rich or Naitanui
Geelong -  Mitch Brown  (key forward)
Hawthorn -  Redden  (bolster ruck stocks)
Melbourne - Watts
North - Lewis Johnston (key forward)
Richmond - Ziebell
St Kilda -  Mckernan    (key forward)
Sydney - ? (add midfield pace)
WC - Rich or Naitanui
Bulldogs - Ayce Cordy (F/S ruck) at pick 14, Ryan Schoenmakers (HFF) at pick 31.
So according to this no Hartlett at least in the top 10 ???

1. Melb - Watts
2. WC - Nat
3. Freo - Rich
4. Port - ? Vickery?
5. Ess - Sidebottom
6. Carl - Hurley
7. Bris - Stephen Hill   (that would be surprising)
8. Rich - Ziebell
9. North - Johnston
10. Adel  - Davis
11. Coll - Blease
12. Syd - ?  Hartlett?
13. St K - McKernan
14. Dogs - Cordy (F/S)
15. Geel - Brown
16. Haw - Redden

There's also a rumour on the radio tonight that the Eagles want Nat so Freo wanting a tall may not necessarily go after Rich next. I find that hard to believe as Rich would be close to my No.1.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2008, 08:35:08 PM »
I've never really been sold on Ziebell and after hearing some of his draft camp stats regarding stamina I hope we don't have him on our list at all

Can't say I am that close to the draft prospects but if stamina is his only downside then that would have to be one of the easiest things to work on wouldn't it?  As long as his attitude is right and he has skill if he is the best mid available at our pick then I say go for it.
I only saw Ziebell play for Vic Country in the U18 champs and there were no obvious signs of a lack of stamina from what I saw. If there was a knock on him it was he would bomb the ball deep forward out of the centre (a bit like our Tucky) rather than drill a low lace out pass. Mind you Tassie's defence was pretty useless that day so it wasn't a bad option and Country smashed them.

A key forward / ruckman for me with the first pick- Tregrove Hurley, Mckernan and Vickery would all fit the bill. Roughhead, Johnston or any other the bigger boys that slip through with our second and I will be excited.

The forth pick can be used for whoever slips through - happy if its the best mid left 
The draft always doesn't go according to predictions but both Vickery and Hurley would be unlikely to be around at pick 8. Trengove's major query is how has he recovered after ripping his hammy off the bone  :-X. I liked Mckernan's game in the Vic Metro vs WA match but other people question his kicking and whether he'll be a tweener at AFL level. At 196cm he could only play mainly as a key forward with spells in the ruck to give the No.1 ruck a rest.

I'd be happy with Roughead at 26.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2008, 11:29:54 PM »
I've never really been sold on Ziebell and after hearing some of his draft camp stats regarding stamina I hope we don't have him on our list at all

Can't say I am that close to the draft prospects but if stamina is his only downside then that would have to be one of the easiest things to work on wouldn't it?  As long as his attitude is right and he has skill if he is the best mid available at our pick then I say go for it.
According to Phantom on PRE who is doing some stats work for the club, Ziebell's results were

His 20m sprint was 3.11
His beep test was 12.83, and
His VO2Max was 56.6, almost in the lowest 25%.
So even if he wanted to develop an engine, he can't because he doesn't have the lungs.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2008, 09:06:38 AM »
According to Phantom on PRE who is doing some stats work for the club, Ziebell's results were

His 20m sprint was 3.11
So even if he wanted to develop an engine, he can't because he doesn't have the lungs.
[/quote]

Hmmm well that doesn't sound good Infamy, Oh well still say best mid and have to trust in our recruitment dept to pick the best one available whoever that is.

I think it was MT who said Roughead at 26 and would be happy with this choice as well to give us a tall KPP

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2008, 10:33:40 AM »
I think it's silly to say best mid at 8, we still have far too many deficiencies on our list, especially with taller players to keep focussing on the midfield. In fact I'd say it's ridiculous to ignore the fact we need some more classy talls, especially with the amount of talls available this year.

Not to say I wouldn't take Rich or consider Hartlett at 8, it simply needs to be best available with 8 and then focus more on needs with 26 and later.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2008, 11:28:04 AM »
I think it's silly to say best mid at 8, we still have far too many deficiencies on our list, especially with taller players to keep focussing on the midfield. In fact I'd say it's ridiculous to ignore the fact we need some more classy talls, especially with the amount of talls available this year.

Not to say I wouldn't take Rich or consider Hartlett at 8, it simply needs to be best available with 8 and then focus more on needs with 26 and later.

You could be right Infamy, lucky I am not in the recruiting game ;D

The Cotch

« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2008, 01:39:58 PM »
Was a little bored so decided to do a mock draft.

Pick 1 (Melbourne) JACK WATTS 195.8cm, 85kg : The monty pick of the draft. Watts, a supremely talented CHF who tested very well in the sprints, agility and vertical leap will head to the Dees. Has vice-like hands which probably comes from his basketball background.

Pick 2 (West Coast) NICHOLAS NAITANUI 200.9cm, 93.9kg : An athletic freak is Naita. Doing an apprentice under Cox would do him wonders and would prove a very scary ruck duo in the future. West Coast will look to bolster midfield stocks with later picks, but an opportunity like this doesn’t come around too often.

Pick 3 (Fremantle) DANIEL RICH 183cm, 83kg : Big bodied, highly skilled midfielder from W.A. All the talk recently is Stephen Hill, but I just can’t see the Dockers having enough guts to let this one slip through.

Pick 4 (Port Adelaide) TYRONE VICKERY 200cm, 88.8kg : Coming back from a knee reco last year, this lad has come on leaps and bounds and proven his worth as a top 5 draft pick. Excellent at the stoppages and capable of being dangerous up forward, it won’t be too long before he takes the #1 ruck mantle at Port.

Pick 5 (Essendon) MICHAEL HURLEY 192cm, 91kg : Bombers fans may want a mid here, but the talk I’m hearing is that this man is up there for the bombers prized pick. Big unit, ability to play both ends of the ground, this guy is too good to pass up. A backline of Hurley, Ryder and Pears looks formidable for the Dons in a few years.

Pick 6 (Carlton) CHRIS YARRAN 180cm, 84kg : Harshly under-rated on this board, this bloke has the potential to be the pick of the bunch. Clean hands, freakish disposal and has the ability to play midfield. This guy’s a ripper.

Pick 7 (Brisbane) JACK ZIEBELL 188cm, 84kg : Big bodied midfielder/flanker with outstanding disposal. I liken him to Hodge with the big, powerful presence. Brisbane have a winner and Jack is the type of player Vossy will love.

Pick 8 (Richmond) HAMISH HARTLETT 182cm, 74kg : I get the feeling the Tigers would’ve liked the big boy in McKernan at this pick, but Hartlett would be too good to pass up. Classy mid from S.A who could go as high as #3. Outstanding disposal by hand and foot, good in the clearances and an intelligent footballer all-round.

Pick 9 (Kangaroos) STEELE SIDEBOTTOM 182cm, 79kg : All class this bloke. Produced on of the greatest individual displays ever in the u/18’s grand final and that was just the icing on the cake of a fantastic year. I think Rusty would be one of Laidley’s favourites.

Pick 10 (Adelaide) SHAUN MCKERNAN 196cm, 95kg : Big boy this kid, tested very well in the sprints and vertical leap at draft camp. Don’t think the Crows will select him as ruckman, but more so as the big bodied CHF they’ve been crying out for to replace Burton. Also I’ve heard the Crows are very, very keen.

Pick 11 (Collingwood) JACKSON TRENGOVE 196.5cm, 85kg : Highly talented CHB/ruckmen that the Pies would be crying out for. Very mobile, freakish leap this pick could prove a bargain.

Pick 12 (Sydney) STEPHEN HILL 187cm, 72kg : Slightly built, dashing left-footed midfielder who will provide the run and enthusiasm the Swans really need. They probably had Trengrove or McKernan marked down for this pick.

Pick 13 (St Kilda) SAM BLEASE 183cm, 72kg : Quick outside midfielder with excellent disposal, he’ll be the injection the Saints really need in their midfield.

Pick 14 (Western Bulldogs) AYCE CORDY 201.7cm, 70kg : Father/Son pick. Have not seen him play.

Pick 15 (Geelong) LEWIS JOHNSTON 192cm, 87kg : More so a half forward flanker in my opinion, similar to an O’Keefe/Murphy mould. Would be a great 3rd foil for Lonergan, Hawkins and Simpson.

Pick 16 (Hawthorn) TOM SWIFT 190cm, 84kg : Can’t say I’ve seen him play all that much but from what I hear the Hawks could have another superstar on their hands.

Pick 17 (Melbourne) RHYS O’KEEFE 187cm, 80kg

Pick 18 (West Coast) MICHAEL WALTERS 177cm, 75kg

Pick 19 (Melbourne) JORDAN ROUGHEAD 199.7cm, 91.75kg

Pick 20 (West Coast) MITCH ROBINSON 188cm, 77kg

Pick 21 (Fremantle) NEVILLE JETTA 178cm, 75kg

Pick 22 (Port Adelaide) JORDAN LISLE 196cm, 93kg

Pick 23 (Essendon) NICHOLAS HEYNE 187cm, 79kg

Pick 24 (Carlton) AARON CORNELIUS 192cm, 84kg

Pick 25 (Brisbane) JAMES STRAUSS 185cm, 81kg

Pick 26 (Richmond) RYAN SCHOENMAKERS 194cm, 85kg

Pick 27 (Kangaroos) MICHAEL BROADBENT 189cm, 81kg

Pick 28 (Adelaide) ASHLEY SMITH 184cm, 83kg

Pick 29 (Collingwood) NICK SUBAN 179cm, 82kg

Pick 30 (Sydney) TOM LYNCH 191cm, 84kg

Pick 31 (Western Bulldogs) TOM ROCKLIFF 183cm, 83kg

Pick 32 (Western Bulldogs) MICHAEL STILL

Pick 33 (Geelong) CLANCEE PEARCE 183cm, 90kg

Pick 34 (Hawthorn) JAYDEN POST

Would love some constructive criticism.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2008, 06:43:28 PM »
That's a good effort Cotch. A realistic mock draft. I've heard Yarran has been linked to the Bombers thanks to assistant coach Ash Prescott and the Cats are interested in Swift but that's nit picking.

Is Schoenmakers really now 194cm? Because that would mean he's grown 5cm in a year  :o. He was listed at only 189cm tall earlier this year.

You're thoughts on Redden, Beams, DeBoer, Shuey, Sloane and Zaharakis who you don't have in your first 2 rounds?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2008, 07:04:27 PM »

His 20m sprint was 3.11
How much do you take notice of draft camp athletic results and tests though? JON probably rated highly compared to his peers in all those categories but he's on the edge of being delisted. Football ability should be the main factor in judging a draftee IMHO. I think with Hawthorn and Geelong there's a trend back towards more natural footballers. Imagine Dew being judged by these draft camp tests  ;D.

I remember people knocking Cotchin before the draft last year and saying we should take Cale Morton. While Morton will be a good footballer I think the Tiges decision in selecting Cotchin has already been vindicated.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2008, 07:48:30 PM »
There's picking due to draft camp results and then there's picking due to draft camp results
Funnily enough, prior to the draft, JON was considered to be a good decision maker and had good disposal too

I still think he could turn out pretty good

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2008, 07:55:03 PM »
I still think he could turn out pretty good

How long do you think he has got to show he has something to offer, Infamy?

General consensus would suggest next year is his last chance.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2008, 08:14:07 PM »
Was a little bored so decided to do a mock draft.

Pick 1 (Melbourne) JACK WATTS 195.8cm, 85kg : The monty pick of the draft. Watts, a supremely talented CHF who tested very well in the sprints, agility and vertical leap will head to the Dees. Has vice-like hands which probably comes from his basketball background.

Pick 2 (West Coast) NICHOLAS NAITANUI 200.9cm, 93.9kg : An athletic freak is Naita. Doing an apprentice under Cox would do him wonders and would prove a very scary ruck duo in the future. West Coast will look to bolster midfield stocks with later picks, but an opportunity like this doesn’t come around too often.

Pick 3 (Fremantle) DANIEL RICH 183cm, 83kg : Big bodied, highly skilled midfielder from W.A. All the talk recently is Stephen Hill, but I just can’t see the Dockers having enough guts to let this one slip through.

Pick 4 (Port Adelaide) TYRONE VICKERY 200cm, 88.8kg : Coming back from a knee reco last year, this lad has come on leaps and bounds and proven his worth as a top 5 draft pick. Excellent at the stoppages and capable of being dangerous up forward, it won’t be too long before he takes the #1 ruck mantle at Port.

Pick 5 (Essendon) MICHAEL HURLEY 192cm, 91kg : Bombers fans may want a mid here, but the talk I’m hearing is that this man is up there for the bombers prized pick. Big unit, ability to play both ends of the ground, this guy is too good to pass up. A backline of Hurley, Ryder and Pears looks formidable for the Dons in a few years.

Pick 6 (Carlton) CHRIS YARRAN 180cm, 84kg : Harshly under-rated on this board, this bloke has the potential to be the pick of the bunch. Clean hands, freakish disposal and has the ability to play midfield. This guy’s a ripper.

Pick 7 (Brisbane) JACK ZIEBELL 188cm, 84kg : Big bodied midfielder/flanker with outstanding disposal. I liken him to Hodge with the big, powerful presence. Brisbane have a winner and Jack is the type of player Vossy will love.

Pick 8 (Richmond) HAMISH HARTLETT 182cm, 74kg : I get the feeling the Tigers would’ve liked the big boy in McKernan at this pick, but Hartlett would be too good to pass up. Classy mid from S.A who could go as high as #3. Outstanding disposal by hand and foot, good in the clearances and an intelligent footballer all-round.

Pick 9 (Kangaroos) STEELE SIDEBOTTOM 182cm, 79kg : All class this bloke. Produced on of the greatest individual displays ever in the u/18’s grand final and that was just the icing on the cake of a fantastic year. I think Rusty would be one of Laidley’s favourites.

Pick 10 (Adelaide) SHAUN MCKERNAN 196cm, 95kg : Big boy this kid, tested very well in the sprints and vertical leap at draft camp. Don’t think the Crows will select him as ruckman, but more so as the big bodied CHF they’ve been crying out for to replace Burton. Also I’ve heard the Crows are very, very keen.

Pick 11 (Collingwood) JACKSON TRENGOVE 196.5cm, 85kg : Highly talented CHB/ruckmen that the Pies would be crying out for. Very mobile, freakish leap this pick could prove a bargain.

Pick 12 (Sydney) STEPHEN HILL 187cm, 72kg : Slightly built, dashing left-footed midfielder who will provide the run and enthusiasm the Swans really need. They probably had Trengrove or McKernan marked down for this pick.

Pick 13 (St Kilda) SAM BLEASE 183cm, 72kg : Quick outside midfielder with excellent disposal, he’ll be the injection the Saints really need in their midfield.

Pick 14 (Western Bulldogs) AYCE CORDY 201.7cm, 70kg : Father/Son pick. Have not seen him play.

Pick 15 (Geelong) LEWIS JOHNSTON 192cm, 87kg : More so a half forward flanker in my opinion, similar to an O’Keefe/Murphy mould. Would be a great 3rd foil for Lonergan, Hawkins and Simpson.

Pick 16 (Hawthorn) TOM SWIFT 190cm, 84kg : Can’t say I’ve seen him play all that much but from what I hear the Hawks could have another superstar on their hands.

Pick 17 (Melbourne) RHYS O’KEEFE 187cm, 80kg

Pick 18 (West Coast) MICHAEL WALTERS 177cm, 75kg

Pick 19 (Melbourne) JORDAN ROUGHEAD 199.7cm, 91.75kg

Pick 20 (West Coast) MITCH ROBINSON 188cm, 77kg

Pick 21 (Fremantle) NEVILLE JETTA 178cm, 75kg

Pick 22 (Port Adelaide) JORDAN LISLE 196cm, 93kg

Pick 23 (Essendon) NICHOLAS HEYNE 187cm, 79kg

Pick 24 (Carlton) AARON CORNELIUS 192cm, 84kg

Pick 25 (Brisbane) JAMES STRAUSS 185cm, 81kg

Pick 26 (Richmond) RYAN SCHOENMAKERS 194cm, 85kg

Pick 27 (Kangaroos) MICHAEL BROADBENT 189cm, 81kg

Pick 28 (Adelaide) ASHLEY SMITH 184cm, 83kg

Pick 29 (Collingwood) NICK SUBAN 179cm, 82kg

Pick 30 (Sydney) TOM LYNCH 191cm, 84kg

Pick 31 (Western Bulldogs) TOM ROCKLIFF 183cm, 83kg

Pick 32 (Western Bulldogs) MICHAEL STILL

Pick 33 (Geelong) CLANCEE PEARCE 183cm, 90kg

Pick 34 (Hawthorn) JAYDEN POST

Would love some constructive criticism.

good picks cotch.  would be more than happy with hartlett and shoenmakers. 

some talk around of port giving hurley a guarantee they'd pick him if he's still around at pick 4.  If that's the case, i can see vickery falling to pick 8.  in that case i'd swoop him up.  Hope that's how it pans out.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2008, 10:32:47 PM »
From BF:

"I was having a coffee down at Barwon Heads this morning when I noticed Wayne Campbell, David King, Jade Rawlings and Choco Royal sitting and chatting at the same cafe with a few young guys. One or two may have been U18 players while another could've already been on Richmond's list (was wearing a Tigers polo)."

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12925769&postcount=11