Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 304362 times)

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #3030 on: May 19, 2024, 08:40:45 PM »
The whole industry needs to be called out by someone prominent.  The umpiring in all games is pathetic as are the rules in general.
It's time the afl are taken to task on how the games are being officiated.
Not sure how but this needs to happen

Online Wazza

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3031 on: May 19, 2024, 09:01:40 PM »
I think the rules just have to be simplified. There should be no prior op. If you are caught and don't dispose correctly. You are gone.
If there are hands in the back (fwd or backline) it's in the back. Umps should not be made to make split second judgements on force, prior, sufficient attempt etc. Call the rules black and white...no grey area.
The players will all adjust their game style accordingly to how the decisions are paid, if the umps pay them the same and effectively every game.
And while we are on rules, please Nick off the 666 and stand rule 🤦

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3032 on: May 20, 2024, 08:16:58 PM »
Where is the apology to Vlastuin by the umpire for paying a free kick against him when he was dangerously tackled. Umpires not being held accountable.  Time for someone at the club to call out atrocious umpiring

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #3033 on: May 20, 2024, 08:30:12 PM »
I think the rules just have to be simplified. There should be no prior op. If you are caught and don't dispose correctly. You are gone.
If there are hands in the back (fwd or backline) it's in the back. Umps should not be made to make split second judgements on force, prior, sufficient attempt etc. Call the rules black and white...no grey area.
The players will all adjust their game style accordingly to how the decisions are paid, if the umps pay them the same and effectively every game.
And while we are on rules, please Nick off the 666 and stand rule 🤦
:clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3034 on: May 26, 2024, 12:40:27 AM »
so in 24 hours we have had Voss, Fly and Dimma call out the umpires.

these are teams which to be honest have had a very good run from the maggots.

wtf have we said. SFA.

Vossy said this “I don’t sit up here and ever do that because I feel like most of it’s all in our control, and I still firmly believe that, but also it’s our responsibility to get clarity when we’re unsure. And we’re unsure so we’ll get the clarity.

well stuffin said. Our club has become weak and benny was too scared to miss out on the top job so didnt speak up. Either say something or step aside now and let someone else say it.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/michael-voss-damien-hardwick-raise-issues-with-afl-umpiring-after-carltongold-coast-match/news-story/d4e3839ab36d1bdeddc70682a6e1deef

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Wazza

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #3035 on: May 27, 2024, 05:37:25 PM »
Just as a refresher for me....did dimma ever come out like he has for the sun's whilst at the tiges??? Especially in more recent years?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3036 on: May 27, 2024, 05:46:16 PM »
"Oh look they've got a bloody hard job..it's a bloody hard game to umpire...." was all we got when he was coaching us....but he knows he has more leeway now....AFL fining Gold Coast/Hardwick would be like fining themselves... :shh

Also:

Best differentials:

1 - Gold Coast (+49)
2 - Essendon (+34)
3 - Carlton (+29)
4 - Adelaide (+18)
5 - Brisbane & Melbourne (+15)

Most frees for:

1 - Gold Coast (240)
2 - Collingwood (222)
3 - Carlton (215)
4 - Fremantle (209)
5 - Sydney (208)

(Don't need to tell anyone who tops the worst & least lists... :shh :shh)

..but yeah it was all just down to the way we played under Hardwick.... :shh :shh :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Wazza

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #3037 on: May 27, 2024, 07:16:46 PM »
Lol. AFLs new love child Dimma softwick.
That's right. That garbage is coming back to me now....

So really Yze just needs to take one for the team and call it out again to get the media back into it. It's not like Chris Scott copped anything a few weeks ago except a meeting at skilled the next day. Again I guess that's another of the AFLs pets though?!

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #3038 on: May 27, 2024, 10:36:37 PM »
Would like to see the umpires sit in on the game review at rfc and explain why they made their decisions. Not a witch hunt but a learning process

Online Wazza

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #3039 on: May 27, 2024, 10:42:54 PM »
Would like to see the umpires sit in on the game review at rfc and explain why they made their decisions. Not a witch hunt but a learning process

Would be great, but I really dont think they know. It's almost like its become second nature to them to not pay frees to us. Like they take too long to make up their mind and then decide 'oh it's too late now to make the call!'.

Deep down I'm sure there's no witch-hunt against us.(Anymore)

I wonder if it's the colour black....how do we fair when we wear yellow?? Maybe they just don't see the players properly wearing black?! Maybe OPSM need to up their sponsership for umps??

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #3040 on: May 27, 2024, 10:45:30 PM »

Would be great, but I really dont think they know. It's almost like its become second nature to them to not pay frees to us. Like they take too long to make up their mind and then decide 'oh it's too late now to make the call!'.

Deep down I'm sure there's no witch-hunt against us.(Anymore)

I wonder if it's the colour black....how do we fair when we wear yellow?? Maybe they just don't see the players properly wearing black?! Maybe OPSM need to up their sponsership for umps??
Well if they did sit in they may have more empathy, OPSM great idea, maybe Guide Dogs??

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3041 on: May 27, 2024, 10:48:07 PM »
Bumblers wear black and they've got the second best free kick differential...mind you umps have loved them for as long as I can remember...hell, one of their players even became one... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Wazza

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #3042 on: May 27, 2024, 11:20:48 PM »
Bumblers wear black and they've got the second best free kick differential...mind you umps have loved them for as long as I can remember...hell, one of their players even became one... :shh

True true....they did wear red against us???!!!   :huh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3043 on: May 28, 2024, 01:10:52 AM »

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/05/27/the-2024-free-kick-ladder-round-11/

ps. They mentioned last night on On the Couch that we received just one HTB free from our 37 tackles on the weekend  :thumbsdown.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3044 on: May 28, 2024, 07:17:52 AM »
Look at the top 3

Gold Coast
Essendon
Carlton

Tell me how this is not a manufactured result directly from the AFL.. Football is a reality TV show where the outcome has been pre decided to keep TV executives happy. They are killing the game. People Young and old are talking about it everywhere and finally even opposition supporters are seeing how much we are getting shafted. It's a joke and Andrew Dillon seems too dumb to realise or he does not care..