Author Topic: Hardwick interview Jan 24 - 2014 expectations / Dusty the defender (afl site)  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
You don't need to play in defence to improve your defensive game.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

:clapping...try getting that across... :lol
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Has he been asked what his plan b is yet?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Not always, no, but it is a very effective way to improve someones defensive game who otherwise "doesn't get it"

nor is this the only reason they are doing it.

:clapping...try getting that across... :lol
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
:lol @  "at what cost."

and that is exactly what you saying. you just want things left how they are rather than trying to improve them.

to not try to improve just because you are afraid of failure, is failure, dont you think?

Why fix what's not broken, he may improve his defensive style he may not.

I have said what I said, I prefer him as a mid attacking goal kicker, not a backman. That's it for me like it or lump it. We tried to turn Rance into a forward and that didn't work, Griff doesn't know where to look these days, he's has been back and forward in every game. Jacks move up the ground a couple of years ago didn't work.

I am happy to leave Dusty where he is and develop his game through his strengths.

We tried to turn Rance into a forward ????????????

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
:lol @  "at what cost."

and that is exactly what you saying. you just want things left how they are rather than trying to improve them.

to not try to improve just because you are afraid of failure, is failure, dont you think?

I have said what I said, I prefer him as a mid attacking goal kicker, not a backman. That's it for me like it or lump it. We tried to turn Rance into a forward and that didn't work, Griff doesn't know where to look these days, he's has been back and forward in every game. Jacks move up the ground a couple of years ago didn't work.

I am happy to leave Dusty where he is and develop his game through his strengths.

We tried to turn Rance into a forward ????????????

Yeah, he trained all pre season there once, cant remember the year, we actually had him in the forward line in a few games too....didn't work!!

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

It is broken WAT, that's the point.  He is only about 50% of the player he could/should be and his brief foray into the world of self-valuation at this year's trade period showed what other clubs thought.  He has all the talent in the world but he has significant shortcomings as a topline midfielder and I think that is what the club are trying to do - get the most and best out of him.  It seems they have identified a role rotating through defence as well as attack as a way of improving his output and the team structures, and that makes sense to me.  All clubs re-define player's roles over the course of their careers - some work, some don't - but I do know that the club that sits on it's ringhole and doesn't seek improvement in all areas from all players is the club that is going to be left behind.  Hello Richmond circa past 40 years anyone??

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

It is broken WAT, that's the point.  He is only about 50% of the player he could/should be and his brief foray into the world of self-valuation at this year's trade period showed what other clubs thought.  He has all the talent in the world but he has significant shortcomings as a topline midfielder and I think that is what the club are trying to do - get the most and best out of him.  It seems they have identified a role rotating through defence as well as attack as a way of improving his output and the team structures, and that makes sense to me.  All clubs re-define player's roles over the course of their careers - some work, some don't - but I do know that the club that sits on it's ringhole and doesn't seek improvement in all areas from all players is the club that is going to be left behind.  Hello Richmond circa past 40 years anyone??

So last year was a broken year for him was it?? I agree with some others, he could quite easily develop his defensive game form the position he plays now and be just as damaging as he has been. Stick him in the backline and he wont be as damaging in the center of forward while he spends time developing his defensive side.... :-\

"Rucks:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

So last year was a broken year for him was it?? I agree with some others, he could quite easily develop his defensive game form the position he plays now and be just as damaging as he has been. Stick him in the backline and he wont be as damaging in the center of forward while he spends time developing his defensive side.... :-\

Yeah, I believe it was.  I don't think he achieved any where near his potential and went missing for long periods in a number of games.  I think he has more potential than almost any other player on our list but unless he is challenged and made work hard outside his comfort zones then I fear he may become just another 'what might have been'.  I don't think the coach has any intention of making him a full time defender but to have him as another option running off half back with a run and penetrating kick into our 50 at different times in the game makes us just that much more dangerous and hard to coach against.  I don't think they're treating Dusty like a new kid needing to learn his craft from the backline first but I think they see the value in adding to his and the team's arsenal by running him through the backline at various times.  And in this Brave New World of limited rotations, the ability to move your midfielders all around the ground might be a way of coping with this rule, and if this turns out to be the case then it might be incumbent on Dusty to make himself more versatile if he wants to be the very best he can.  I'm sure the coaches aren't idiots and won't persevere with the plan if Dusty fails miserably to connect with it but I know that the team has strengthened it's attacking options over the summer and are probably now looking to the midfield as a whole to be the defensive and offensive glue that binds them together for a much more serious tilt at a flag, and to do that they will be looking for more versatility, unpredictability and accountability from each and every one of them.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

Yeah, I believe it was.  I don't think he achieved any where near his potential and went missing for long periods in a number of games.  I think he has more potential than almost any other player on our list but unless he is challenged and made work hard outside his comfort zones then I fear he may become just another 'what might have been'.  I don't think the coach has any intention of making him a full time defender but to have him as another option running off half back with a run and penetrating kick into our 50 at different times in the game makes us just that much more dangerous and hard to coach against.  I don't think they're treating Dusty like a new kid needing to learn his craft from the backline first but I think they see the value in adding to his and the team's arsenal by running him through the backline at various times.  And in this Brave New World of limited rotations, the ability to move your midfielders all around the ground might be a way of coping with this rule, and if this turns out to be the case then it might be incumbent on Dusty to make himself more versatile if he wants to be the very best he can.  I'm sure the coaches aren't idiots and won't persevere with the plan if Dusty fails miserably to connect with it but I know that the team has strengthened it's attacking options over the summer and are probably now looking to the midfield as a whole to be the defensive and offensive glue that binds them together for a much more serious tilt at a flag, and to do that they will be looking for more versatility, unpredictability and accountability from each and every one of them.

:bow :thumbsup ;D......leave him where he is.... ;)

"Rucks:

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame

Great post smokey  :thumbsup

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
TAKE NOTE!!!!!

So we won't miss him in attack as a "MID-FORWARD"..... He is above average in his current role.... Why stuff with him? :banghead

Richmond
Elite: none
Above average: Dustin Martin (mid-forward), Jack Riewoldt, Aaron Edwards, Ty Vickery
Top 5 goalkickers in 2013: J Riewoldt 58, T Vickery 27, D Martin 23, J King 21, L McGuane 20

"Rucks:

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
"Why stuff with him?"
The answers (note plural) to that question are in the OP, in the interview with Dan Richardson on SEN, and has been explained by numerous posters in their own words.

Obviously you don't get it, and never will, and are happy to accept not quite best as good enough.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
"Why stuff with him?"
The answers (note plural) to that question are in the OP, in the interview with Dan Richardson on SEN, and has been explained by numerous posters in their own words.

Obviously you don't get it, and never will, and are happy to accept not quite best as good enough.

:clapping....the expert.... :lol

"Rucks:

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
To be fair Al, that last sentence isn't necessary.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.