Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1089489 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #2775 on: September 21, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »
continuing the failed policies that existed for 30 years is simply wrong. the club wont go down the same road again. in terms of drawing a line in the sand they have decided to do it here and with good reason. Just think of this, if they gave martin the 650k per year his manager wanted what would happen in 2 years when he is out of contract again. Would you be happy for his manager to up the price to 800k a  year? And would you be happy if it cost us a player like Brandon Ellis or Nick Vlastuin? Would you be happy for our club to have no room to move in bringing new players to the club. For example this year we are looking at bringing in players like Taylor Adams and Billy Longer, I can almost guarantee that giving Martin and Conca what they wanted would mean there would be absolutely no chance of getting either. Now there is some chance.

The days of the players and the coteries running the club are over and rightly so. The players and the coteries have rooted our club for 30 years. Enough is Enough.

Yep agree but it should of been done years ago as I said, not now, why not pay him the money, then draw the line in the sand for future deals?

:lol

WAT, seriously, that is probably the worst attempt at justification of a poor policy that I have ever read.

Each to their own mate, Richmond just need to get Martin signed, end of story!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Gigantor

« Reply #2776 on: September 21, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »
I think Life is easy for Dustin during the season ,its now that it becomes maybe a little tricky for him

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2777 on: September 21, 2013, 02:35:56 PM »
all the punters who jumped off Martin and used his baggage as justification for letting him go - You guys are the problem.

stuffing Morons.

Grow up!! >:(
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2778 on: September 21, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »
think you have a fascination with Caro  ;D

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2779 on: September 21, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »
That's Queen Caro to you, punk.

tony_montana

« Reply #2780 on: September 21, 2013, 03:30:33 PM »
The article said Conca signed before his manager was in town, don't know what that means?

No it doens't.

It says "If only he had the strength he demonstrates on the MCG and took a stand on his own as Reece Conca did this week and put pen to paper without waiting for his manager to get to town". Which means why couldn't Dusty do what Reece Conca did (take less money to stay) and sign a contract while his manager (Carr) was interstate

I read it as Conca signed without waiting for his manager to get into town, funny the way we interpret things differently

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2781 on: September 21, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
Saturday 21st Sept. 12:48pm (on SEN Radio)

'Greater Western Sydney' List Manager Stephen Silvagni said that Ralph Carr was in contact with GWS during this Season.

--------------------------------------------------------

From BF:

Was told last night that Ralph Carr promised Dustin's family he'd get them 600k.

A while ago he realized he probably wouldn't be able to get 600k. This led to Dustin's biker dad threatening Carr and telling him that if he didn't get him 600k that he'd have to personally pay the difference.

Well, apparently anyway.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/dustin-martin-contract-thread-gws-will-not-offer-dusty-a-contract.1032410/page-165#post-30252615

If only it was true  :lol.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2782 on: September 21, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »
THE NEXT STEP
by Ricky Nixon
September 20, 2013

Negotiation is a Challenge.   One that requires nerve.   One where you can’t roll the dice too many times and expect your number will keep coming up.

Ralph Carr has rolled the dice on Dustin Martin lately.  Called Richmonds bluff and made some very poor decisions on behalf of his client.   

This all smacks of an Agent that

1. Lacks experience

2. Doesn’t understand the Football Landscape

3. Isn’t connected enough to sell his client into another Club on a deal worth leaving Richmond for.

How could you take your client to Sydney for a meeting without a written offer on the table ?   Desperation ?   My number one rule as a Player Agent was get the deal on the table first before the visit !

I can’t believe how long this has dragged out for.    Any Agent with half a brain would know that once you get to this stage of the season there wouldn’t be too many cookies left in the cookie jar (read Richmond Salary Cap)

I don’t intend to go over what mistakes have been made to date but rather what you could do as Dustin Martin’s Agent this afternoon.

1.  Get Dustin in and tell him honestly the lay of the land.   Is there other offers on the table  ?  If so from where. 

2.  Ask Dustin what he wants to do.  Does he want to start negotiations with Richmond again or walk.   

Richmond are already 2 weeks into their 8 week player break.    As a Player you hardly want to be going overseas etc not knowing your future particularly if you have to move interstate the day after you get back.

What are Carr’s Options:

1.  See if Richmond are prepared to come back to the table.    I believe they are.    Hence agree to their terms but make sure you get Dustin a win.   For example the contracts in the AFL run from November 1st to October 30th the following year.  Not January to December like most people would think.   Hence i would ask Richmond for a sizable up front advance on Dustin’s Base.  Base payments are made on a monthly basis ie if Dustin was on a base of $450,000 he would get $37,500 per month.  Ask for $150,000 on the 1st of November and argue hard that Richmond will be cashed up because they will have membership money pouring in.   

2.  Getting his client to take a punt.   For example take less in the Base but more upside in incentives.   So take a $400,000 Base but instead of an ability to earn $500,000 through incentives put $150,000 of incentives with the option of an additional year on the contract at the amount Dustin wants not the Club.  This might be based around winning the B&F

3.   Split differences.    If Richmond won’t come to the table on any of that then split the difference.

I don’t intend to give away all my best trade secrets here but just an insight into being creative as an Agent.

It might be time for Carr to put his money where his mouth is.  I recall him running with a big spread in the Herald Sun saying a year or so ago on how he thought AFL Agents had no idea and that he was going to show them how a Music Man did it.    It might be time to for the Music Man to put his money where his mouth is and find Dustin some deals outside the Club that bring his yearly earn up to the level Carr promised him and if he doesn’t then if i was Dustin i would ask him to underwrite it.

Ok what can Carr do if Richmond play really hard ball and for example had a deal of $520,000 on the table 2 weeks ago and now are saying its $475,000 take it or leave it.

Carr can get a deal on the table from Melbourne for $600K or take a deal of $650K from Brisbane.   All stupid deals because he is no better off at Melbourne and to move to Brisbane will cost him that much by the time he resettles etc.   Plus i hardly think Dustin is a Brisbane Boy.   They don’t even have a coach !

Clocks ticking for Carr he needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat.    Unfortunately for Carr he doesn’t have a stable of stars to do his own trades like i use to ie: Trade one of my own players in Brisbane for one at Richmond.   Everyones a winner that way but that ain’t an option here.

My advice hasn’t changed.     Get the deal done at Richmond.    Otherwise your boy is going to Club he probably doesn’t want to go to via the draft system or trade.  He will be no better off and Richmond will benefit substantially with probably a first round draft pick and and experienced player or room in their salary cap to take one in the pre-season draft.

The Music is beating Mr. Carr…..time to show if you can dance or not !!!

http://rickynixon.wordpress.com/2013/09/20/the-next-step-by-ricky-nixon/

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2783 on: September 21, 2013, 04:10:32 PM »
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/martin-wants-to-stay-a-tiger-20130920-2u42p.html

:sleep

The disgraceful handling of troubled young footballer Dustin Martin reached a new low point on Thursday when the bewildered-looking 22-year-old was led around a football club he didn't really want to join.

:rollin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2784 on: September 21, 2013, 04:19:10 PM »
Dusty has just tweeted this in the last 15 mins (if his account hasn't been hacked again?).

@DustinMartin4 - "Caroline Wilson what a larry"

larry is slang for moron or loner.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2785 on: September 21, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »

WAT, seriously, that is probably the worst attempt at justification of a poor policy that I have ever read.

That's where we are diametrically opposite on this.

I think the club has been first class in it's handling of this whole episode.  They have been tolerant and open with Martin all the way through and have refused to compromise their position or standards and it is the most heartening thing I have seen them do as a club in a fair while.  We have all bemoaned how we have been a basket case of failure for 30 years through inept management both on and off field and now that we have a topline management team and a set of standards that we refuse to compromise you seriously want to set it aside the very first time it is tested?  I don't want to lose Martin but I don't want us to forsake all the gains we have made as a club collectively for the sake of satisfying my own emotional fear.  We will win a flag with or without Martin and by making this stand in this most public manner we are gaining huge tracts in football community respect, something that will pay off in spades in coming years.  Players (and their managers), of our club and others will be watching and seeing how we are a club that can be trusted in it's word, and a safe and fair place for them to play.  Just how they now perceive Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn.  They might not pay top dollar but they are extremely well run and have been successful for a long time now, and have no problem attracting and keeping quality players.  We can't reach those lofty heights by compromising our standards the minute the pressure is on and caving in to pay Martin what no other club in the competition was prepared to pay him would be doing just that.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2786 on: September 21, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »
Dusty has just tweeted this in the last 15 mins (if his account hasn't been hacked again?).

insert pot,kettle,black.jpeg.  :lol

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2787 on: September 21, 2013, 05:54:45 PM »

Most probably Ralph Carr tweeting again on his account.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2788 on: September 21, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »

That's where we are diametrically opposite on this.

I think the club has been first class in it's handling of this whole episode.  They have been tolerant and open with Martin all the way through and have refused to compromise their position or standards and it is the most heartening thing I have seen them do as a club in a fair while.  We have all bemoaned how we have been a basket case of failure for 30 years through inept management both on and off field and now that we have a topline management team and a set of standards that we refuse to compromise you seriously want to set it aside the very first time it is tested?  I don't want to lose Martin but I don't want us to forsake all the gains we have made as a club collectively for the sake of satisfying my own emotional fear.  We will win a flag with or without Martin and by making this stand in this most public manner we are gaining huge tracts in football community respect, something that will pay off in spades in coming years.  Players (and their managers), of our club and others will be watching and seeing how we are a club that can be trusted in it's word, and a safe and fair place for them to play.  Just how they now perceive Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn.  They might not pay top dollar but they are extremely well run and have been successful for a long time now, and have no problem attracting and keeping quality players.  We can't reach those lofty heights by compromising our standards the minute the pressure is on and caving in to pay Martin what no other club in the competition was prepared to pay him would be doing just that.

Top post, RFC must stick to the plan. No-one is bigger than the club moving forward to create a new history.

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #2789 on: September 21, 2013, 06:06:26 PM »

Most probably Ralph Carr tweeting again on his account.
Yeah cant see dusty using the term larry