Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1079430 times)

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #7290 on: September 19, 2024, 09:26:18 AM »
Cotchin on tv says there’s a 0-1% chance he plays for gcs as well so I guess maybe this is all manufactured from Schwartz McClure and co?

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7291 on: September 19, 2024, 07:13:07 PM »
Lol Bartel.

Hearing from those fairly close to Dusty inner circles. Cotchin, Cooney. All would be blown away if he plays for GC.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7292 on: September 19, 2024, 07:16:29 PM »
Cotchin on tv says there’s a 0-1% chance he plays for gcs as well so I guess maybe this is all manufactured from Schwartz McClure and co?

VIDEO: https://x.com/7AFL/status/1836375419072786771

Trent Cotchin pours cold water on Dustin Martin reports

But former Tigers captain Cotchin - who won three premierships alongside Martin at Richmond - told Channel Seven's 'Talking Footy' on Tuesday night there was next to no chance of the three-time Norm Smith Medallist coming out of retirement to play for the Gold Coast, or any other club. "I think there is a zero to one per cent chance that he pulls on a Suns guernsey, or any other guernsey for that matter," Cotchin said.

"But in saying that you can understand why the likes of Gold Coast and Dimma (Hardwick) are teasing the idea of maybe it eventuating. I don't know why and maybe you guys have opinions on why it might help their footy club but they're not in finals but they're in the papers every day and it builds awareness on the footy club.

"There's probably a part of me that hopes it doesn't happen because of the love I have and that I think it would be nice for him to end up being a one-club player with the Richmond footy club. But footy is a bloody tough game and to move and maybe that's the fresh start he needs but to move away in a new environment where they're building and it's going to look a lot different to the latter stages of his career looked like at the Tigers, it's a big call."

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/trent-cotchin-drops-staggering-claim-about-why-dustin-martin-isnt-coming-out-of-retirement-214422955.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7293 on: September 22, 2024, 11:44:35 PM »
Jack Riewoldt talking about Dusty.

Watch here: https://x.com/thefootywithbro/status/1837316569875304888

Online julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7294 on: September 23, 2024, 07:17:40 AM »
Doesn’t help to dispel the rumours

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7295 on: September 23, 2024, 10:02:36 AM »
Im wary of riewoldts public commentary because he’s got a stake in fox footy and he is going to want to generate press/likes/clicks etc

I know cotch is with 7afl also but there’s something about Riewoldt especially the post game interview he had with dusty at his 300th which doesn’t feel right

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #7296 on: September 23, 2024, 11:17:19 AM »
“One club player” is an old hackneyed misnomer.
It is about $ and the ride.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7297 on: September 23, 2024, 12:16:21 PM »
It's a funny space we are in isn't it. I mean Dusty at Richmond is finished, he won't play for us again.

Yet we are so invested in not seeing Dusty at GC where in reality it impacts us rebuild in no way at all.

If what Jack is saying is on point, I actually don't think GC is the fit for Dusty. I'd be going to GWS and win a flag with them next year. Which I think I could accept easier where as the GC factor feels yuck because of Dimma I reckon.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7298 on: September 23, 2024, 07:30:03 PM »
Mitch Cleary on 7news said Dusty isn't at the Brownlow night and he won't be at the GF on Saturday as part of the retirees car lap.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7299 on: September 23, 2024, 07:32:13 PM »
VIDEO https://x.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1838140372112797800

----------------------------------------------

‘Can it work for both of us?’: Dimma breaks silence on Dusty bid, drops hint on big trade plans

Jack Jovanovski
Fox Sports
September 23rd, 2024 6:59 pm

Gold Coast coach Damien Hardwick has shared the latest on the possibility of a Dustin Martin reunion at the Suns this off-season.

Despite hanging up his legendary boots this year, multiple reports have suggested the 33-year-old is plotting a comeback that would see him join forces with his old mentor.

Gold Coast in early September confirmed Martin’s camp had made contact regarding the possibility of a marriage but stated there had been no progression yet.

“Dustin has reached out to the club but that’s as far as it goes at this point in time,” Gold Coast chief executive Mark Evans said earlier in the month, via Herald Sun Chief Football Writer Mark Robinson.

Speaking on AFL 360 on Monday night, Hardwick delved deeper into the much-speculated discussions.

“We’ve had conversations,” he began on Fox Footy.

“What we’ve just got to sit there and figure out is: ‘Can it work for both of us? Is it a viable option for both parties? Are we motivated to go into this?’

“And look, there’s no rush from our point of view — those sorts of decisions aren’t made until about a month’s time.”

Asked for his ‘gut feel’ on where those conversations are headed, Hardwick confirmed his club is “certainly open” to the prospect of Martin donning Suns colours.

“We’ve just got to have further conversations,” the first-year Gold Coast coach continued.

“We’ve had conversations, and from our point of view, he’s a really, really good player — it’s just (about) whether it is working for both parties, whether Dustin has the motivation to continue to play.

“He’s been a fantastic player for the Richmond Football Club ... It’s just (about) whether he wants to sit there and look at his career, but then we’ve also got to figure out ‘well, how does it fit with the Gold Coast?’

“We’re in the initial stages of those conversations.”

If Martin was to unretire, he would be eligible to join the Suns as an unrestricted free agent.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-news-rumours-2024-damien-hardwick-comments-on-dustin-martin-comeback-at-gold-coast-suns-retirement-from-richmond-tigers-afl-360-latest-news/news-story/16f60de8d9438192ec309c95fa4ebecf
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 07:50:01 PM by one-eyed »

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #7300 on: September 23, 2024, 09:46:18 PM »
It may sound obvious, but has RFC asked Dusty if there is any position he would be interested in at the club next year??

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7301 on: Yesterday at 12:21:22 AM »
Mitch Cleary on 7news said Dusty isn't at the Brownlow night and he won't be at the GF on Saturday as part of the retirees car lap.

He's just one of more fascinating characters the AFL will ever see.

On one hand, this shows Dusty removing himself completely and on other it's a sign he actually hasn't retired.

If he does go to GC, Id love to know a couple of things.

- When did the move become a possibility, was it mid year, before last game? After retirement?
- Did you approach GC, or did they approach you. The talk out of GC stating that Dusty reached out to them, throws his RFC loyalty under the bus which I think is really poor from them. Even if he did approach them, just say there have been conversations.
- What was Ralph Carr and Dimma's wisdom in this, how much persuasion did they do to further their careers in this, or has Dusty been 100% driver.

Will adore this man and what he did for us regardless of what happens and the answers to these questions.
Go Tigers!

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7302 on: Yesterday at 12:27:15 PM »
Not sure you’ll get answers to those questions and it probably doesn’t matter. He’s one guy who has given enough to the cause.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #7303 on: Yesterday at 01:45:30 PM »
lmao at the retired players segment with Brayshaw...carrying on they're all stuffing decorated war veterans... ::)
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7304 on: Yesterday at 02:25:04 PM »
One of the most pathetic things I've seen in my life. I thought he was reading an obituary at a funeral at one stage.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.