Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 267515 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #1155 on: April 30, 2021, 11:15:38 PM »
Good game from Dave but I still think he should consider hanging up the boots at years end personally.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1156 on: May 21, 2021, 11:17:37 PM »
Where's the fork? :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1157 on: May 21, 2021, 11:19:48 PM »
Losing contests frequently.

Time to try Miller IMO. Astbury should retire at the end of the year, or before the MSD if Houli doesnt.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1158 on: May 22, 2021, 08:17:25 AM »
Don't know why the criticism at Dave he was played out of position in the ruck he's a defender and that's it that's on Dimma that mistake putting him and Balta in the ruck and leaving our defence exposed play the second ruck for FFS.

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #1159 on: May 22, 2021, 08:52:06 AM »
Don't know why the criticism at Dave he was played out of position in the ruck he's a defender and that's it that's on Dimma that mistake putting him and Balta in the ruck and leaving our defence exposed play the second ruck for FFS.

I agree. He didn't get beaten down back any more than any of our other defenders. He did have that one real shocker but he was far from online on that front.

He is no ruckman or on baller but that's more of a coaching/selection problem.

Far from the biggest problem in our side atm.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1160 on: May 22, 2021, 10:46:50 AM »

I agree. He didn't get beaten down back any more than any of our other defenders. He did have that one real shocker but he was far from online on that front.

Will watch the replay whe i get home but

My observations at the game when he was down back he looked slow, failed to get to contests and the opposition targeted getting the ball to his direct opponent

Don't forget he gifted them the safest goal in the 3rd when he ...ummm....err...tapped the ball forward instead of marking ( can't have call it a punch  :banghead)

Personally have concerns rightmost.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1161 on: May 22, 2021, 11:31:50 AM »
Anyone backing him in needs to watch the replay.

As I have said at least twice or three times before - he is consistently losing contests after the first handful of rounds. I don't think he can play out the full season.

He's slow to move, slow to think, and his kicking is suspect. He generally only kicks down the line and is lucky to go 40m or more.

A few people say Miller is coming along nicely. If that's the case then we should play him while Grimes is still around to mentor him. Balta looks like he is settled. Grimes is about to turn 30 so you'd hate to have both Astbury and Grimes retiring within the same 12 months or so. That would place too much pressure on a guy like Miller. Get games into miller between now and 2022 because we might only have 18 months of Grimes left for all we know.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1162 on: May 22, 2021, 12:25:38 PM »
That's why we need to go after Sam Taylor..... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #1163 on: May 22, 2021, 12:48:42 PM »

Will watch the replay whe i get home but

My observations at the game when he was down back he looked slow, failed to get to contests and the opposition targeted getting the ball to his direct opponent

Don't forget he gifted them the safest goal in the 3rd when he ...ummm....err...tapped the ball forward instead of marking ( can't have call it a punch  :banghead)

Personally have concerns rightmost.

I would usually watch the replay again myself before commenting as I see things clearer then but I don't think I could put myself though that rubbish umpiring again. I do agree he has slowed a bit and is getting nearer to the end of his playing career but he never was a speedster and that's not what he is in the side for. I saw all of our backline being beaten in contests at various times not just Astbury.

That tap was the shocker I was referring too. But he was not alone in making errors.  I feel he is far from the worst problem we have in the side. Small forwards not doing anything much, Tall forwards that cant kick straight and basically our midfield being out with some of the replacements not being up to it are more a problem the way I see it.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1164 on: May 22, 2021, 02:44:20 PM »
Astbury is done! Been an excellent servant of our club but hes done imho. Time for Ben Miller to start getting games.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1165 on: June 09, 2021, 01:47:20 PM »
Hardwick's update on Astbury:

“Dave’s been a little bit slower with regard to his achilles.

“He’ll be after the bye. He’s so just important to the way we play, but achilles’ can take a little bit of time.

Source: SEN

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1166 on: June 09, 2021, 02:26:03 PM »
Finito. Shame he didn't hang up the boots so we could take a second MSD.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1167 on: July 02, 2021, 04:52:06 PM »
David Astbury

An unrestricted free agent at year’s end. Was curtailed by injury last year before coming back and performing in the finals. He’ll be 31 heading into next season, so a one-year deal is likely be on the cards if he opts to keep playing.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2021-richmond-out-of-contract-players-trade-period-shai-bolton-free-agents-list-changes-who-could-leave-at-end-of-year/news-story/e012bc0ab741abe7279d88757badcc95

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1168 on: July 03, 2021, 09:03:16 PM »
150th this week not that it matters much, given what they dished up in dustys 250th

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: David Astbury - 150th game this week
« Reply #1169 on: July 05, 2021, 11:57:09 PM »
It's taken 11 years but Dave plays his 150th on Sunday  :clapping.

2010  17 games
2011    5
2012    2
2013    5
2014    8
2015    4
2016  19
2017  25 ....... premiership
2018  22
2019  22 ....... premiership
2020    9 ....... premiership
2021  12*