Author Topic: Troy Taylor [merged]  (Read 118477 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tiger Troy Taylor accused of NYE assault (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #240 on: February 19, 2010, 09:43:45 AM »

I think the prosecution is going to find it hard to make a case that a young aboriginal bloke who had just been rough housed and then menaced by grown men couldn't make a case for feeling threatened enough to claim self defense.

If that's what happened.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #241 on: February 19, 2010, 09:57:54 AM »
Now the poo rag that first brought us this story has sunk even lower;

"Footy star's bail allows for pub nights"

This is the headline used by the NT News in regards to Troys hearing yesterday.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/02/18/125251_ntnews.html

Not even any good for wiping your bum with, this rag.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #242 on: February 19, 2010, 11:18:57 AM »

I think the prosecution is going to find it hard to make a case that a young aboriginal bloke who had just been rough housed and then menaced by grown men couldn't make a case for feeling threatened enough to claim self defense.

If that's what happened.

Well one of the blokes Troy has allegedly assaulted admitted in his interview with the NT news paper that he grabbed the kid by the shirt and marched him down the street and Troy ended up on the ground...

Also, I still reckon that the bloke who gave the interview has prejudiced this case
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #243 on: February 19, 2010, 01:05:52 PM »

If that's what happened.

Well one of the blokes Troy has allegedly assaulted admitted in his interview with the NT news paper that he grabbed the kid by the shirt and marched him down the street and Troy ended up on the ground...

Also, I still reckon that the bloke who gave the interview has prejudiced this case

Yeah, for sure WP.  My point was more about 'none of us really knows 2 parts of 5/8ths of stuff-all about what really happened' and until it all comes out in court then there is no point in trying to find any sort of moral indicator as to the outcome.  As an interesting aside, I have just finished a very good book (read for the 2nd time) about Breaker Morant - "Shoot Straight, You Bastards" by Nick Bleszynski - that looks at the events leading up to and including the executions, and subsequent public comment and hearsay since.  It is a very good example of what I meant re: Taylor.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #244 on: February 19, 2010, 01:30:46 PM »
I think that the facts that he was allowed to 'attend' this hearing via video link, the prosecution did not oppose bail and the magistrate realised that to not be attendance where alcohol was served is impracticle are all good signs.

If we make an assumption that he pleads, or is found guilty i see it like this.

The magistrate has two options;

Give him a non custodial sentence, allowing him to be part of an organistaion that has vested interest in steering his life in the correct direction. One that will actively (hopefully) have in place a structure to help troy. He will have a clear purpose in life for his immediate future  and he will be in company of role models.

Or,

Send him to gaol, an institution that basically doesn't give a damn, has very little interest/structure in place for rehabilitation and surrounds him with criminals. This would also take away what in reality, is probably his best chance of becoming something resembling a contributing member of society, leaving him without too many aspirations in life.

You would really hope that sanity prevails.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #245 on: February 19, 2010, 01:57:24 PM »
I think that the facts that he was allowed to 'attend' this hearing via video link, the prosecution did not oppose bail and the magistrate realised that to not be attendance where alcohol was served is impracticle are all good signs.

If we make an assumption that he pleads, or is found guilty i see it like this.

The magistrate has two options;

Give him a non custodial sentence, allowing him to be part of an organistaion that has vested interest in steering his life in the correct direction. One that will actively (hopefully) have in place a structure to help troy. He will have a clear purpose in life for his immediate future  and he will be in company of role models.

Or,

Send him to gaol, an institution that basically doesn't give a damn, has very little interest/structure in place for rehabilitation and surrounds him with criminals. This would also take away what in reality, is probably his best chance of becoming something resembling a contributing member of society, leaving him without too many aspirations in life.

You would really hope that sanity prevails.

Too true Al.  I just wish I had that much faith in our legal system.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #246 on: February 19, 2010, 02:02:29 PM »
Spot on Al.

Common sense, if there is any left in the legal system will see him lving in Victoria in a stabilised environment with a clear promoised future ahead of him.

Sending him to jail will not help his development as a member of society any better than keeping him in Victoria playing AFL.
Go Tigers!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #247 on: February 19, 2010, 02:47:33 PM »
It appears the club is holding off enforcing its own punishment for Troy until after the case. Maybe the Club will argue to the magistrate that this punishment as al said from an organistaion that has vested interest in steering his life in the correct direction will be of more positive long-term benefit for Troy and his future to become a positive contributing citizen to society rather than having him in the clink with zero future job prospects.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #248 on: February 19, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »

If that's what happened.

Agree WP. His account of what happened was very suss.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #249 on: February 19, 2010, 02:58:57 PM »

If that's what happened.

Agree WP. His account of what happened was very suss.

Or maybe the guy was a good bloke trying to remove a drunken troublemaker and the troublemaker got violent.

Just me call me Mr D. Advocate, Devils that is!!   ;)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #250 on: February 19, 2010, 03:01:19 PM »
It appears the club is holding off enforcing its own punishment for Troy until after the case. Maybe the Club will argue to the magistrate that this punishment as al said from an organistaion that has vested interest in steering his life in the correct direction will be of more positive long-term benefit for Troy and his future to become a positive contributing citizen to society rather than having him in the clink with zero future job prospects.

Yep, that would make sense.  Hang on to a couple of trump cards to play when the time is right.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2010, 08:51:24 PM »
Make sure he gets his head in the right place!  Is gunna be allright  :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Troubled Troy Taylor highly rated at Richmond Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #252 on: March 04, 2010, 03:02:50 AM »
Troubled Troy Taylor highly rated at Richmond Tigers

* Jon Ralph
  * Herald Sun
  * March 04, 2010

MARK down Troy Taylor's imminent debut as one of the game's more improbable feats.

Just 12 months ago the teenager was serving the last days of a four-month term in a youth detention facility for a drunken brawl.

Two months ago the new Richmond recruit was allegedly involved in an Alice Springs incident and he was charged with assault.

And yet despite all the setbacks and controversy, a debut for 18-year-old Taylor in the early rounds of the season is not out of the question.

If Taylor can continue to display the kind of magic he exhibited against Geelong in Yea on Saturday, coach Damien Hardwick might have no choice but to pick him.

His cause is helped by the club's new direction: force-feed the most talented juniors AFL games then sit back and see who flourishes.

Taylor is due in court in Alice Springs on March 30, five days after Richmond's season opener against Carlton.

With the AFL's permission, the Tigers have chosen to allow him to continue playing rather than exclude him from action.

A clear first-round talent who slipped to pick 51 in last year's draft, Taylor has already shown in training and pre-season games he has something special.

The Tigers say Taylor could flourish at Punt Rd as both a person and footballer.

The Tigers do not have another forward like him - a silky lead-up target capable of brilliance - and he is every chance to break into an eager young side.

"He is going well. He is really making progress," manager Tom Petroro said.

"He is settling in and making friends around the club.

"We have our fingers crossed it works out for him because he has got amazing ability."

Tigers football manager Craig Cameron said the league had been constantly kept informed about developments relating to Taylor.

"The AFL know what is happening, but there has been no directive from them," he said.

A rival AFL recruiter said yesterday the Tigers could discover an elite footballer.

"He has enough talent to play for a long time," he said.

"He is very, very talented. He has a bit of Daryl White about him - he can do the unexpected. He was a great pick at 51 in terms of talent."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/troubled-troy-taylor-highly-rated-at-richmond-tigers/story-e6frf9ix-1225836741742

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #253 on: March 04, 2010, 08:05:31 AM »
Good article and thanks for posting but it would be nice if this thread title was just 'Troy Taylor'.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #254 on: March 04, 2010, 09:01:46 AM »
Its good to to a bit of common sense prevail re letting him play rather than excluding him from the action. I believe to do other wise would be do harm than good, so kudos to the RFC and the AFL on this one