Author Topic: Jake King wins appeal, suspension reduced to one week  (Read 10421 times)

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jake King cops two weeks for striking
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 12:51:19 PM »
Bring him in for questioning in front of the QCs and Jake King.

Make the squib squirm.  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 12:53:14 PM »
Look what came up for me after a recent search on Google for this douchebag  ;D

It just proves the point that Google is the most intuitive and up to date search engine on the planet!!!  ;D

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: King to contest the striking charge
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 12:56:59 PM »

Imagine if the legal system worked like that. No evidence, just the word of the victim.

The media system certainly does.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 12:59:07 PM »

It just proves the point that Google is the most intuitive and up to date search engine on the planet!!!  ;D

:lol  :lol  :lol

Funniest thing I have seen in ages Tiga.  And how funny that its true!  :o

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Richmond's Jake King dobbed in by Collingwood's Travis Cloke

* Mark Stevens
    * March 10, 2010

TENSIONS between Richmond and Collingwood are close to boiling point amid "dobbing" and biting allegations.

Magpie forward Travis Cloke broke the "code of silence" by twice lagging on rugged Richmond defender Jake King.

Great, no nonsense reporting by Mark Stevens. Telling it like it is, just what journos are supposed to do.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »

:lol  :lol  :lol

Funniest thing I have seen in ages Tiga.  And how funny that its true!  :o
:lol  that's hilarious tiga  :rollin :thatsgold
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 01:29:49 PM »
I, for one, am glad that this issue has come up.
I had actually forgotten how much I hated Collingwood, I had even made a couple of complimentary remarks over their young fellas such as Beams, Anthony and Sidebottom.

But they can forget it now, I feel like re reading the Jack Dyer story, just so I can read the excerpt that describes how much enjoyment Captain Blood got out of belting Jock McHale's son right in front of him at Vic Park.

Dogs.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: King to contest the striking charge
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 01:36:05 PM »
The news just said Kingy is contesting the striking charge and so is risking a 3-week suspension. The hearing will be held next Tuesday night.

Good idea.

Imagine if the legal system worked like that. No evidence, just the word of the victim.
Especially when there's photos of the "victim" having the defendant pinned on his back on the ground. Now that Cloke has lifted the players' code you'd presume Kingy will return the favour at the hearing.

Kingy would also know being rubbed out at the start of the year would see him at Coburg for the rest of the season until delisted. He's really got nothing to lose in risking another week.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 02:28:30 PM »
King and his advocate will be the only ones showing up on Tuesday night according to SEN. Cloke doesn't have to be at the hearing unless we put in a request to the tribunal chairman for Cloke to be there and then the chairman decides whether Cloke has to come or not.

Offline HD

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 04:24:06 PM »
King and his advocate will be the only ones showing up on Tuesday night according to SEN. Cloke doesn't have to be at the hearing unless we put in a request to the tribunal chairman for Cloke to be there and then the chairman decides whether Cloke has to come or not.

What kind of system is that? So Kind may not even get the opportunity to face his accuser when it was Cloke's 'evidence' that got this issue brought before the tribunal!! There is something very wrong with that.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2010, 06:41:44 PM »
The angle of Ch 7's footage of the incident on their news tonight was interesting. You see Cloke with his hand around King's throat/jaw. Hardly an innocent victim  :whistle.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2010, 07:30:07 PM »
I, for one, am glad that this issue has come up.
I had actually forgotten how much I hated Collingwood, I had even made a couple of complimentary remarks over their young fellas such as Beams, Anthony and Sidebottom.

But they can forget it now, I feel like re reading the Jack Dyer story, just so I can read the excerpt that describes how much enjoyment Captain Blood got out of belting Jock McHale's son right in front of him at Vic Park.

Dogs.

ditto.

as much as i dont rate King as a player i am one of those people who last year praised the Pies team at times throughout the year well no more.

Those suckers can go get stuffed. Mcguane you proved what a man you are for walking away last year and Cloke well i expected nothing less from the most overated hack  in the league.

Bunch of wankers these Pies are who could forget Maxwell's remarks last year. eff they make me sick
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:10:00 AM by one-eyed »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Tigermonk

A source last night said of Cloke: "He sang like a bird."

Tweety and Sylvester

classic l like it

Clokes a dog
Dogs get taken out on the field

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Footballing brotherhood dead again (Age)
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 01:12:33 AM »
Footballing brotherhood dead again
ROHAN CONNOLLY
March 11, 2010

AND in breaking news, AFL football's code of silence is dead, killed apparently by Collingwood's Travis Cloke, who had the gall to actually tell an umpire he'd been struck by an opponent.

Wow. Stand by for more revelations, like there's no longer a final four, no six games on a Saturday, and football still played at Arden Street, the Lake Oval and Windy Hill.

Seriously. Code of silence? That went out sometime around the early '80s, along with the keg after Sunday morning training, and the 100 hundreds as a standard form of pre-season training.

Sure enough, though, as soon as Richmond's Jake King this week was handed a two-game suspension based on the evidence of Cloke, the oldest of football chestnuts emerged again.

You know the thinking. Cloke's a big girl's blouse for telling the umpire in charge of the match that he'd been hit by King, then daring to stick by his story once it was followed up by the AFL investigator the next day. Man's game. Etc., etc. Well it is a man's game.

Tougher and harder-hitting than ever. But free, mercifully, from snide behind-the-play cheap shots which used to be somehow confused with courage. And, just as mercifully, from the view that a player had to remain tight-lipped no matter what had happened to him.

And it's been that way for a long while. Ask former Hawthorn premiership defender David Polkinghorne, who stuck to his guns and told the tribunal that he'd been struck by Carlton's Wayne Johnston in a qualifying final, leading to Johnston being suspended for two matches and nearly missing the Blues' eventual grand final win.

''When a player hits someone the player should at least get his just desserts,'' was Polkinghorne's explanation. That was in 1982, close enough to three decades ago.

Ask a long roll call of players who have refused to honour an anachronistic ''code'' since. Like former Richmond skipper Wayne Campbell, incensed enough by Western Bulldog Tony Liberatore's felling of teammate Matthew Knights in 2001 to give damning evidence against Liberatore.

Or Brisbane's Simon Black, whose complaint about being scratched in a game against the Bulldogs in 2000 led to a two-game suspension for Jose Romero.

Alternately, you could ask Hawthorn's Campbell Brown about how he felt after upholding the supposedly sacred code when he fibbed to get Chris Judd off an eye-gouging charge in 2007. Lighter in the pocket, certainly, after being fined $7500.

He was hardly the first to be pinged for refusing to ''dob'', either. North defender Ross Smith was handed a $1000 fine for ''unsatisfactory evidence'' in 1995.

The accusation that Cloke lagged on King not just once, but twice, is particularly rich. Once he had told the umpire in charge he'd been struck by King, and there was unsatisfactory video evidence, Cloke was always going to have to speak to an investigator. What was he supposed to tell him: ''Sorry, just kidding''?

Richmond was rightly running a hundred miles from any finger-pointing exercise yesterday. The Tigers can't afford to be seen having a whinge about Cloke when, at the same time, there was an allegation out of the same game that Dylan Grimes had been bitten on the back by an opponent.

That supposed code can be a little tricky when you have a case on either side of the equation.

The current AFL player rules allow either the league's football operations manager or the tribunal head to sanction a player who has displayed a ''failure to fully co-operate'' with the investigative process.

As it should. What use are any of the efforts expended on cleaning up the game over the years if those with the greatest power to effect that change are openly subverting the course of football justice?

That will run its course next Tuesday when King contests the charge.

He might get off, too. In which case you can expect Cloke to cop the rounds of the kitchen again from that shrinking minority who'd rather watch football as it was 30 or 40 years ago.

Personally, I prefer a game that's a celebration of skill as well as genuine toughness, and where a player doesn't have to pedal the ridiculous notion that copping an illegal whack and then pretending it didn't happen is somehow a sign of football's brotherhood.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/footballing-brotherhood-dead-again-20100310-pzcp.html?rand=1268228671073

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Footballing brotherhood dead again (Age)
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2010, 08:11:22 AM »
Footballing brotherhood dead again
ROHAN CONNOLLY
March 11, 2010

Personally, I prefer a game that's a celebration of skill as well as genuine toughness, and where a player doesn't have to pedal the ridiculous notion that copping an illegal whack and then pretending it didn't happen is somehow a sign of football's brotherhood.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/footballing-brotherhood-dead-again-20100310-pzcp.html?rand=1268228671073

Yes Rohan, I wish Luke McGuane had felt the same way last year when Cloke bit him.