Author Topic: Reece Conca [merged]  (Read 433072 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Freo offering Conca a 4-year deal (Age)
« Reply #930 on: September 17, 2013, 10:17:43 AM »
He does want to go home eventually but told his team mates that he would here for at least another contract. Hope he hasn't changed his mind... People under rate his importance to our midfield depth. He is a no frills ball winner who has good foot skills. He will only get better so losing him would be a bigger loss for mine than Martin.

We need to change our focus from Dusty's contract to his now.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #931 on: September 17, 2013, 10:18:07 AM »
It is, but its not normal when negotiations drag out for almost an entire season. Managers wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't shop around and get a feel of market value, but when it drags on for this long, theres more to it than just posturing

But Conca have "dragged out for almost the entire season"

Martin's yes but Conca's no

Start of the season the CLub had 3 re-signing priorities = Cotchin, Reiwoldt and Martin. Two of the three are done.

Conca was not a priority. I'd go as far as to say they have only been seriously negotiating since mid-late July that's not even 2 months

Players don't accept the first offer thrown at them. It rarely happens

Manager says we want, club says our offer is and a way we go. They talk with the aim of reaching agreement. It's called negotiating. It can be tough and seeing it's a business it can drag out

If Conca or any other player chooses to leave then so be it but let's not crucify him or any other player until a deal is done either way
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

dwaino

« Reply #932 on: September 17, 2013, 10:19:26 AM »
Finally getting a team together and we get pillaged  :banghead

tony_montana

« Reply #933 on: September 17, 2013, 10:48:09 AM »
It is, but its not normal when negotiations drag out for almost an entire season. Managers wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't shop around and get a feel of market value, but when it drags on for this long, theres more to it than just posturing

But Conca have "dragged out for almost the entire season"

Martin's yes but Conca's no

Start of the season the CLub had 3 re-signing priorities = Cotchin, Reiwoldt and Martin. Two of the three are done.

Conca was not a priority. I'd go as far as to say they have only been seriously negotiating since mid-late July that's not even 2 months

Players don't accept the first offer thrown at them. It rarely happens

Manager says we want, club says our offer is and a way we go. They talk with the aim of reaching agreement. It's called negotiating. It can be tough and seeing it's a business it can drag out

If Conca or any other player chooses to leave then so be it but let's not crucify him or any other player until a deal is done either way

when did Ellis sign?  It was at that time that we started looking to tie up players of Concas ilk. Stand to be corrected but am sure its been for a fair chunk of the season

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #934 on: September 17, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »
when did Ellis sign?  It was at that time that we started looking to tie up players of Concas ilk. Stand to be corrected but am sure its been for a fair chunk of the season

June/July I think. But Ellis is one of the rare ones, he accepted the first offer, ditto Rance and couple of others

They may have opened talks early in the season but the question remains when did the real negoiations start. My guess is after they re-signed Jack which wasn't that long ago
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #935 on: September 17, 2013, 12:04:17 PM »
New territory for our club.

Since I can remember the only 'decent' players to have lost are Maxfield and Ottens.

What about Plapp, Patto, Tambo, Polo and Gus??  ;D

gerkin greg

« Reply #936 on: September 17, 2013, 12:08:35 PM »

Since I can remember the only 'decent' players to have lost are Maxfield and Ottens.

jayschulzhanger.gif

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #937 on: September 17, 2013, 06:21:52 PM »
Ellis and Vlastuin didn't even ask their managers what the club had offered. They just said 'tell the club yes, no matter how much, I want to stay here'.

Leaders right there.

These other tools can get lost somewhat.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #938 on: September 17, 2013, 06:25:56 PM »

jayschulzhanger.gif

;D :thumbsup

the claw

« Reply #939 on: September 17, 2013, 07:24:52 PM »
imo the most disappointing aspect of the whole conca martin thing is we dont have good midfield depth. with tuck retiring the need was still great to add to the midfield with quality. if both conca and martin  go the situation becomes dire.

cotchin -  23yo development A
deledio - 26YO MATURE A/B
Vlastuin - 19yo junior. potentially a very good player if not elite. based on potential B.

Arnot -  20yo junior. will he make it or not. if he does hes a foot slodier
S Edwards -  25yo mature C at the absolute best and thats borderline. Played his best footy as a forward imo and regularly struggles as a mid.
Ellis - 20yo  junior development. looks a good player may become v/good. based on potential C/B
Foley -  28yo senior really struggled with form and fitness for a few yrs now. atm C. It is fair to ask will he get back close to his best.
Grigg -  26yo senior good in some areas terrible in others he barely passes muster C.
HELBIG - 22yo  Development,  is currently under pressure to keep his spot. BS/C Does have the tools top play at AFL  level but can he translate potential into performance.
Jackson -  28yo senior. no comment dont want to start argumments. we all rate players differently. for arguments sake and in recognition of a good yr  ill give him a pass or C.
Knights - 27yo senior. hasnt played much thru the midfield for a long time. when fit hes a good player C. just have to question his durability.
Lonergan - 27yo senior BS which means below standard.
mcdonough - 20yo junior sml forward who we hope can become a part of midfield rotations.
Nahas - 26yo senior BS.
Newman - 31 yo veteran whose best is behind him should retire imo. has never spent much tiime as a mid though he has become a part of rotations this yr.
Verrier - 20 yo junior hbf who may become a mid shocking foot skills should be delisted.BS
White - see jackson hes very bvery limited but again for arguments sake C.
Williams - 19yo junior rookie. does have some real good attributes to work with will he make it or wont he.

In all honesty i can sit here and ask where is the quality.  we probably have numbers but no quality out side two mature players and a few kids who are 1st or second yr players.what hurts is we have just gotten to the point where we can build a bit of midfield depth and this happens.

we cant afford to lose the likes of martin and conca we should be building on them with more quality and finding genuine depth..
imo and dont get the knickers in a knot its only opinion but we should be looking for better than about half of that list.

lose those two and we had damn well better target 3 or 4 quality mids this coming trrade draft period. if we lose em both we had better make sure we are compensated enough to allow us to target quality players to replace em.

gerkin greg

« Reply #940 on: September 17, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »
i can feel your boner from here claw

your favourite time of year  :clapping

thank god we didn't go further than week 1 of finals  ;D

dwaino

« Reply #941 on: September 17, 2013, 07:33:41 PM »
I feel like I've read this before.

gerkin greg

« Reply #942 on: September 17, 2013, 07:49:10 PM »
I feel like I've read this before.

Get. Out.

the claw

« Reply #943 on: September 17, 2013, 08:18:59 PM »
cmon you lot.
theres a real chance we will lose two of our more highly rated young mids.  along with the retirement of possibly our best inside mid surely its pertinent to ask where it leaves us as far as depth and quality in the midfield goes.

tony_montana

« Reply #944 on: September 17, 2013, 08:23:56 PM »
Don't forget we have Lonergan and matt Thomas coming  :shh woah