Author Topic: Shai Bolton [merged]  (Read 173534 times)

Sticky Fingers

Re: Pick 29. Shai Bolton
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2016, 11:40:19 PM »
Don't really understand how he gots a go home profile.

The kid boarded away from home at Wesley College.

Bit like Cyril boarding at high school. Great experience for him I would say???

The go home factor for mine is an invention of the AFL to explain why no one wants to stay at Brisbane. I guess they can't just come out and say that the Lions are a poo club. I am sure you get the odd player who does genuinely get badly homesick and wants to go back to his home state, but I reckon they are pretty rare.

Out of interest regarding Shai Bolton, I think the fact he boarded at Wesley is immaterial to the discussion either way. Wesley is only 70km from where he lived before going to school there. Boarding would just have been a convenience. Probably did teach him some independence, but 70km isn't like coming to Perth from the Kimberley. Family were just down the road really.

FlashGordon

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2016, 09:04:59 AM »
Got a bit of a Jeff Garlett thing about him..dont mind this kid. Only knock is he is a featherweight, but stuff it, we need speed at the fall of the ball and a nose for goal and this kid has it. Lets see how he goes at the top level.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2016, 11:49:05 AM »
Every bloke leaves home ffs.  When you are a teenager you can't stuffing get out the door fast enough, unless you are a whiney little mummy's boy.  Here you get an opportunity to play sport, get financed to do it and leave home and be independant.  It is like winning tatsfuckinglotto!
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2016, 02:42:57 PM »

"If the penny drops..."
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

FlashGordon

« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2016, 02:49:39 PM »

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2016, 02:50:30 PM »

"If the penny drops..."
Quick!!!! We must employ a penny dropping experrt!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why Shai Bolton stands out (afl site)
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2016, 03:03:34 PM »
Why Shai Bolton stands out

Ben Guthrie
AFL Media
28 November 2016

Shai Bolton is one of those players who will regularly bring the crowd to its feet.

The wiry West Australian, taken by Richmond with its first pick (No. 29 overall) in the 2016 AFL National Draft, is blessed with blazing speed, a supreme confidence in his ability, and a natural instinct for the game.

“He does things on the football field that I've never seen another player do,” South Fremantle player development manager Jason Pedulla says.

One of those audacious things he attempted was a handball behind his back to a teammate for his colts side early in the WAFL season.

It was the round three game against East Perth, when the ball became lodged behind Bolton's back, that he attempted the unthinkable.

“To even think about trying to do something like that is rare, and to pull something like that off, is even rarer.  He's extremely enjoyable to watch,” Pedulla says.

Those special attributes were on display in the AFL All Stars game on Grand Final eve, as Bolton collected 16 touches, seven inside-50s and a goal in a standout performance.

Anyone who was watching from the Punt Road Oval stand that afternoon, saw Bolton leave opponents in the dust with his run and carry and use his spring to haul in a footy he had no right to mark.

“As soon as I get the ball and I have space I try to take off,” Bolton says.

“You've got to play to your strengths, and that's mine.”

Bolton, who turns 18 in December, followed that up with bags of four goals in two straight finals games for South Fremantle to end the season.

The 177cm small forward, who can push onto the wing when required, also kicked seven goals from 20 disposals in round 22 to further underline his talent.

He also demonstrated mental resilience to bounce back from stress fractures in his back that kept him sidelined in his bottom-age under-17 season.

Bolton, who lived in Mandurah in 2016 after originating from Forrestdale just outside Perth, has a strong football pedigree. His father Darren played two matches for Fremantle in 1999, which he feels has been helpful as he prepares for his own AFL journey.

Despite his standout showings at WAFL level, Bolton – even by his own admission – was a little down on his output when playing for Western Australia in the under-18 national championships this year.

The unassuming youngster still kicked five goals for the carnival, but won just 27 per cent of his possessions contested – the second-lowest percentage of any player to play at least three games in division one.

Notwithstanding that, AFL talent development manager Michael Ablett watched Bolton play regularly this season, and rates him highly for the X-factor he possesses.

“You've got to take the good with the bad,” Ablett says.

“He's going to do some things where he might cost you a goal, and then he might kick four in a quarter and win you a game, too.

“That's what makes those guys so valuable . . .”

“Bolton ran 2.95 seconds in the 20m sprint test at the AFL Draft Combine and was placed second in the running vertical jump test (94cm off his left leg) behind only eventual No. 1 pick Andrew McGrath.

Pedulla stressed to Bolton throughout the year to keep the natural flair in his game, but also to focus on doing the team things like chasing and pressuring the opposition.

“He needs to do the little things week in, week out, and the flashy things are going to follow,” Pedulla says.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-11-28/why-shai-bolton-stands-out

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2016, 04:00:18 PM »
...."The wiry West Australian, taken by Richmond with its first pick (No. 29 overall) in the 2016 AFL National Draft, is blessed with blazing speed, a supreme confidence in his ability, and a natural instinct for the game"

..."As soon as I get the ball I have space I try to take off", Bolton says.

How long will it take for Hardwick to slow this kid down, crush his confidence and sap all the natural flare?

If Hardwick stays on indefinitely I'm guessing it won't take that long and we will see this poor bastard kicking 20 metre dinky's sideways and backwards like the rest of the other young guns he's ruined.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2016, 04:18:21 PM »
...."The wiry West Australian, taken by Richmond with its first pick (No. 29 overall) in the 2016 AFL National Draft, is blessed with blazing speed, a supreme confidence in his ability, and a natural instinct for the game"

How long will it take for Hardwick to slow this kid down, crush his confidence and sap all the natural flare?

If Hardwick stays on indefinitely I'm guessing it won't take that long and we will see this poor bastard kicking 20 metre dinky's sideways and backwards like the rest of the other young guns he's ruined.
The RFC, ruining careers since 1982... :rollin
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2016, 05:57:38 PM »

The RFC, ruining careers since 1982... :rollin
:clapping  :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2016, 06:07:11 PM »

Actually i think youll find that Hardwick is obsessed, probably to the point of stupidity, in having a player that that has dash and can run and carry off half back.

It's why they recruited Yarran.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2016, 02:41:57 AM »
Shai Bolton at RFC training:

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - NOVEMBER 28: New draftee Shai Bolton of the Tigers in action during the Richmond Tigers training session at Punt Road Oval in Melbourne, Australia on November 28, 2016. (Photo by Adam Trafford/AFL Media)
http://www.aflphotos.com.au/galleries/results/?q=collection:AFL%202016%20Training%20-%20Richmond%20281116&image_id=480221

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2016, 06:47:56 AM »
He looks unsettlingly like JON, in physique and even that wispy moustache....
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2016, 09:15:59 AM »
JON was taller and heavier
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2016, 09:20:22 AM »
JON was taller and heavier

Was his kicking better?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.