Author Topic: Shai Bolton [merged]  (Read 171359 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Shai Bolton [merged]
« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »
That first quarter was as electric as any player in the comp could produce. Not just his goals but his contested work around the packs was brilliant. Faded out of the game for sure but he's already ahead of Butler and Castagna imo. So much to look forward to.

Ahead of Rioli too

Short memory
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #211 on: June 20, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »
That first quarter was as electric as any player in the comp could produce. Not just his goals but his contested work around the packs was brilliant. Faded out of the game for sure but he's already ahead of Butler and Castagna imo. So much to look forward to.
Ahead of Rioli too
Short memory

Memories just fine :shh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #212 on: June 20, 2017, 01:45:26 PM »
4. Bolton a Rising Star candidate

Nope - Silvagni....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

tony_montana

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #214 on: June 23, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »
Not correct. He signed with a WA agent

No

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-23/another-tiger-joins-ralph-carrs-famous-stable
But rest easy Tigers fans, Bolton – who's initial two-year contract expires at the end of next season – isn't headed for protracted negotiations as well.

"Shai is very happy at Richmond and we feel that Richmond are heading in the right direction so I would think that we would be discussing an extension at some point," Carr told AFL.com.au this week. 

On the appeal of Shai Bolton:
The fact that he is 18 years of age, and already playing some good football, he is very appealing as an athlete. He also is a fine young man with values and respect. 
You'd hope that Carr's statement in bold applies to Dusty as well.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #215 on: July 26, 2017, 10:34:34 PM »
Richmond VFL and development coach Craig McRae assesses the development of the Tigers’ first pick in last year’s AFL National Draft, exciting small forward Shai Bolton, in this week’s ‘Coaches’ Corner’.

Impressive progress in his debut AFL season

“He’s grown a lot in his tenure here. In the pre-season, you saw straight away what he’s good at and why we drafted him . . . The way he moves, he just lights up the track. He’s an unbelievable talent, and it’s been good to watch him getting the work-rate to go with that.”

His crumbing ability

“We talk about ‘10 to two’ at the contest . . . turning up there and moving through. And he’s certainly got a lot of talent around that part of his game.”

Areas of the game he’s working on

“His tackle pressure’s something he really prides himself on, as well. He’s training that because he’s not going to kick goals every week, so he has to make sure his pressure is consistent. It’s a fine balance because he’s so elusive being able to get around players . . . it’s whether you taken them on, or give the first give. That’s always a challenge for young players. So we’re working on that at the moment.”

Bouncing back brilliantly at VFL level recently

“That was really pleasing (five goals v Werribee two weeks ago) because he’d played AFL football and then got dropped for the first time in his career . . . How do you deal with that and how do you respond? He responded in the best way possible . . . good, strong work-rate, turning up to contests and then, obviously, showing everyone all his strengths.”

Playing up the ground

“I think the biggest thing for him at the moment, as an 18 year-old, is being able to do it for long periods . . . being able to play AFL intensity for long periods. But he’s working on that.”

Other facets of the game he’s working on

“We just talk about playing to his strengths all the time . . . Training those things out on the track, having good habits, and being consistent with his work ethic. So, hopefully, that all shines through in the last part of the year.”

Pressing for a return to senior ranks

“I know on the weekend (v Collingwood) he didn’t have quite the performance as what he had against Werribee. That happens . . . The opposition put a bit more attention into him and he got tagged. But he’s been spoken about at match committee again on the back of that performance against Werribee . . . When he’s at his best he just follows up . . . he turns up to the next contest. I think he’s in line to play AFL footy again.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-07-26/focus-on-shai-bolton

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #216 on: July 27, 2017, 11:01:47 AM »
Drop a flea. Bring back the Bolt!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #217 on: December 09, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »
Bolton has put on 8kgs. So he'll be a lot bigger in the body when we see him play next season.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #218 on: December 09, 2017, 07:16:52 PM »
Bolton has put on 8kgs. So he'll be a lot bigger in the body when we see him play next season.
Hope its all muscle and not brewskies over the spring break  :shh

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #219 on: December 09, 2017, 07:42:12 PM »
FWIW, I have it from a good source close to the family that Shai is pretty happy in Melbourne with the Tigers.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #220 on: December 09, 2017, 09:24:34 PM »
Great news, gee all the small quick guys are going to be fighting for spots next year.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #221 on: January 26, 2018, 12:34:33 AM »
Bolton building and bonding on camp

In his second pre-season, speedy small forward Shai Bolton is focusing on building size and increasing his fitness to crack back in to the senior side.

Speaking at the Tigers’ pre-season training camp on the Sunshine Coast, the 19-year-old feels the team have returned from the Christmas break in good shape.

“I think everyone’s come back in good condition, running pretty well, there’s no one falling behind which is good,” he said.

The Western Australian product is hoping to build on his six AFL games in 2017.

“(I’m) just trying to get bigger, in the gym (with) weights and working more on my fitness, so that’s been my two main components,” Bolton said.

“When I first got drafted, we didn’t really have a big pre-season, because it was light sessions and I missed out on a couple of drills.

“Now it’s pretty big, and (I’m) doing every drill.. that’s what I find the hardest really, is doing a full pre-season.”

After the hard work of training, the team are also finding time for fun and team bonding in other activities like volleyball, baseball and paintballing.

“We did paintballing which was good. Ask ‘Higgo’ what happened to his face, I got him pretty good,” laughed Bolton.

“(It’s a) big pre-season camp, we just get out and have fun really, and enjoy each other’s company.

“Also getting to know the boys a bit more, just getting to know the boys’ backgrounds, you get to know each other more, and understand them a bit more.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-01-25/bolton-building-and-bonding-on-camp

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2018, 09:29:47 AM »
“We did paintballing which was good. Ask ‘Higgo’ what happened to his face, I got him pretty good,” laughed Bolton.

I get the impression Bolton is really warming to his time as a Tiger, which is great. As I have posted previously, I work with someone who has close ties to his family (on his father's side) and this person tells me he likes it at Richmond.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2018, 07:06:06 PM »
With Rioli missing, Bolts pretty much just booked his spot in our forward line for round 1.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger goalsneak Shai Bolton firms for Rioli's round one spot (afl site)
« Reply #224 on: February 24, 2018, 09:18:31 PM »
Tiger goalsneak firms for Rioli's round one spot

Nathan Schmook
afl.com.au
Feb 24, 2018 8:33PM

RICHMOND small forward Shai Bolton has taken a big step forward in the battle to replace injured premiership star Daniel Rioli, with his lively performance against Essendon on Saturday putting him in pole position for round one selection.     

Bolton booted three goals in Saturday's 87-point win in Wangaratta, but it was his defensive pressure that convinced coach Damien Hardwick it was the youngster's best performance for the club.

The 19-year-old, who played six games last season, was part of a small forward line that harassed the Bombers defenders into repeated turnovers, then capitalising with his smarts around goal.

"Daniel Rioli is going to be a little bit of a slow start, so we're looking to fill that role and for those players to get that position they have to play a certain way," Hardwick said. 

"Our players are under no illusions that to get in the side they have to bring the pressure and the heat every week.

"It was certainly a step forward. It was one of the better games he's played for us, based on those factors that we look for and it's really exciting for us.

"He's a kid with enormous talent and he's got a lot of areas in his game to continue to improve. But he's incredibly young as well."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-24/tiger-goalsneak-firms-for-riolis-round-one-spot