Author Topic: Richmond vs Melbourne @ M.C.G., R5 Anzac Eve  (Read 15135 times)

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richmond vs Melbourne @ M.C.G., R5 Anzac Eve
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2018, 09:57:59 PM »
LAST FIVE MEETINGS

R5, 2017, Richmond 12.16 (88) d Melbourne 11.9 (75) at the MCG
R5, 2016, Melbourne 20.9 (129) d Richmond 14.12 (96) at the MCG
R4, 2015, Melbourne 12.11 (83) d Richmond 6.15 (51) at the MCG
R9, 2014, Melbourne 14.7 (91) d Richmond 9.20 (74) at the MCG
R8, 2013, Richmond 15.16 (106) d Melbourne 11.6 (72) at the MCG

One thing is for sure, our recent efforts against Melbourne have seen us kick poorly for goal.

If my maths is right, 56.79 in those 5 games listed (135 scoring shots at goal). Conversely, Melbourne have kicked 68.42 in those same games (110 scoring shots at goal).

So across those games, we have had 25 more scoring shots, but been outscored by a total of 35 points.

Not sure if that is significant, I just find it interesting.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2018, 11:02:10 PM »
Correct Slip. We owe this mob. Ripe for a 15 goal drubbing. Lets see us do it!

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2018, 11:35:32 PM »
Not to mention Tom bugg is right up there as one of the biggest flogs in the afl and is always up to his floggiest best against us. Viney not playing but he’s right up there too.

Apart from the finals and granny the Anzac Day eve game was my favourite win of last season.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2018, 11:40:36 PM »
Not to mention Tom bugg is right up there as one of the biggest flogs in the afl and is always up to his floggiest best against us. Viney not playing but he’s right up there too.

Apart from the finals and granny the Anzac Day eve game was my favourite win of last season.
x2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Melbourne CEO Peter Jackson thanks fans for elevating Anzac eve clash to blockbuster status

Sam Landsberger
Herald Sun
April 19, 2018

MELBOURNE boss Peter Jackson says his club’s Anzac eve blockbuster against Richmond has transformed footy’s celebrations, with about 180,000 people expected to pack the MCG in the space of two days.

Jackson told the Herald Sun that after just four years the annual Dees-Tigers clash could be as big as Collingwood and Essendon’s longstanding marquee match.

Melbourne will pocket the entire gate revenue from Tuesday night’s encounter and Jackson said the Melbourne Cricket Club was expecting 85,000.

That would deliver the Demons their biggest home-and-away crowd since pulling 86,664 in their 1964 premiership season.

“Rather than compare the games I think it’s better to say how fantastic is it that AFL football can have 180,000 people potentially turn up within 15 or 16 hours,” Jackson told the Herald Sun.

“When else does that happen? It’s just fantastic. I’ve got to thank Richmond supporters for it — they elevated it last year to the next level.”

Last year’s crowd of 85,657 clapped loudly as the attendance was displayed on the MCG screen. The first two Anzac eve fixtures drew 59,968 (2016) and 58,175 (2015).

Melbourne midfielder Angus Brayshaw’s brother Will Brayshaw, an Australian army lieutenant, is set to fly in from Afghanistan to speak at the chairman’s function.

While the Pies and Bombers honour past war heroes, the Dees and Tigers acknowledge those currently serving.

Private Gregory Sher’s family will light the cauldron on Tuesday night and 20 current service men and women are set to be honoured at the MCG.

Private Sher was killed in Afghanistan in 2009.

“I hope this becomes as big as Anzac Day,” Jackson said.

“It’s not far away now, is it? If you get 85,000 that’s pretty good. It is a great example of what can happen if two clubs get together and build something.”

Jackson was unsure how much cash the Demons would make.

“I’ve never seen a game this big (at Melbourne) so I don’t really know what happens,” the chief executive said.

“Last year people had to take a risk. Channel 7 had to take a risk (and) the AFL had to take a risk to actually fixture a game on a Monday night.

“To be honest they were both a little bit shaky about that. But both clubs were very strong about this — if this is going to be an authentic Anzac eve night game you’ve just got to deal with the risk of a Monday night and go for it.

“Now it’s locked in and it’s a great result.”

Jackson urged supporters to pre-purchase a reserved seat.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/melbourne-ceo-peter-jackson-thanks-fans-for-elevating-anzac-eve-clash-to-blockbuster-status/news-story/1345144d3e2d41df2fd1c2c629bd3836

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 11:29:54 PM »
Please without our mob this club would lucky to get half of that crowd expected.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2018, 06:53:45 AM »
Please without our mob this club would lucky to get half of that crowd expected.

Exactly
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2018, 07:44:09 AM »
LAST FIVE MEETINGS

R5, 2017, Richmond 12.16 (88) d Melbourne 11.9 (75) at the MCG
R5, 2016, Melbourne 20.9 (129) d Richmond 14.12 (96) at the MCG
R4, 2015, Melbourne 12.11 (83) d Richmond 6.15 (51) at the MCG
R9, 2014, Melbourne 14.7 (91) d Richmond 9.20 (74) at the MCG
R8, 2013, Richmond 15.16 (106) d Melbourne 11.6 (72) at the MCG

One thing is for sure, our recent efforts against Melbourne have seen us kick poorly for goal.

If my maths is right, 56.79 in those 5 games listed (135 scoring shots at goal). Conversely, Melbourne have kicked 68.42 in those same games (110 scoring shots at goal).

So across those games, we have had 25 more scoring shots, but been outscored by a total of 35 points.

Not sure if that is significant, I just find it interesting.

I think its well worth the conservation.

Melbourne play a real poo and dirty style of football against us, reminds me of poo hitting the inside lip of the toilet bowl and not sliding even with a flush, anyhow there must be some frustation and pressure that Melbourne put the players under in order for them to miss. Out of the 22 games each year playing the dees is one that I dont look forward to as its always a frustrating affair to watch and I'm sure the players feel that negative vibe too
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2018, 08:24:32 AM »

I think its well worth the conservation.

Melbourne play a real poo and dirty style of football against us, reminds me of poo hitting the inside lip of the toilet bowl and not sliding even with a flush, anyhow there must be some frustation and pressure that Melbourne put the players under in order for them to miss. Out of the 22 games each year playing the dees is one that I dont look forward to as its always a frustrating affair to watch and I'm sure the players feel that negative vibe too

Well worth the conversation as well.

:lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2018, 12:26:24 PM »
EEA, sounds like Melbourne are planning for more of the same negative and frustrating 'tactics' against us ::).

With around 85,000 fans expected to flock to the MCG for the annual clash, Gawn said the players felt an extra spark ahead of the occasion given the clubs' fiery history.

"I've got a couple of melee fines in Richmond games dating back about five, six years,"

"It's a great game, upwards of about 85,000 fans this week we hope, so usually a few players can get a little bit tense for that sort of crowd and the occasion. I think it's relatively in good spirit though."

Gawn said it was incumbent on the more experienced players in the side to show more leadership on the field in those situations [opposition run-ons].

"Hopefully Richmond don't get a bit of a run-on, but if they do, there's a good chance for us to act on and show good learnings from this week."

The loss to the Hawks also raised questions over the Demons' mental toughness, a critical area of improvement if they are to be any chance of beating premiers Richmond next Tuesday at the annual Anzac Day Eve clash.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-19/dont-go-with-the-flow-demons-gawn

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2018, 12:52:36 PM »
"show good learnings"

more corporate speak

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2018, 01:42:19 PM »
Melbourne have been beaten up badly in the media this week. I expect they will come out firing against us. Need to be prepared for the onslaught.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2018, 02:11:26 PM »
It's Melbournes Grand Final, they come out acting like a bunch of smartarse tough guys. Let's smash them.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2018, 02:17:41 PM »
What we do best is spoil party's/celebrations/milestones.
Let's spoil this party for this joke of a club! I hate many clubs, but for some reason this one is up there with Essendon/Geelong

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2018, 02:25:17 PM »
What we do best is spoil party's/celebrations/milestones.
Let's spoil this party for this joke of a club! I hate many clubs, but for some reason this one is up there with Essendon/Geelong
Never minded Melbourne till Lyon became a commentator.....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.