Author Topic: 2023 - Best 22  (Read 16492 times)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: 2023 - Best 22
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2022, 08:05:05 PM »
Given the senior team i picked A Potential vfl team, some selections people won't like. Also taking into account the 8 players we have lost.

Mansell - xxxx - xxxx
Short - Nyuon - Brown

Banks - Baker - Ralphsmith
Soldo - Ross - Graham

Clarke - Bauer - Dow
Castagna - xxxx - Ryan

Colina - xxxx - xxxx - xxxx.

Some real holes with just 192cm Bauer as the only genuine key forward.

Three dinosaur rucks in Soldo, Colina, Ryan with Ryan probably having to play key fwd. If Soldo plays seniors then Miller will probably play KPD.

Just Nyuon as a key defender especially if Gibcus is played in the seniors which is likely imo.

Just 4 mids 5 if you include Short, the others being Ross, Dow, Graham and Baker.

Reckon we still need to find more mids inside and out, two big tall fwds,  a medium sized defender and of course a small/med fwd so we can get rid of Castagna once and for all.

You realise there is restrictions on list sizes ???
wtf i named 22 in the senior team and 16 in the twos. List sizes are are generally 44 that leaves 6 spots to round the list out to 44.
Its pretty plain looking at what is left for the two's and if we do the logical thing and try to mirror the structure we have in the seniors  then  we need two tall fwds im not talking quality thats just the type we lack. we lack mids in that team  and we lack a medium defender and depending on where Miller plays or Gibcus another tall defender.
That is 6 players which brings the number up to what is pretty standard for most at 44.

Sorry
I misunderstood the post

Apologise

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2022, 12:02:05 AM »
Given the senior team i picked A Potential vfl team, some selections people won't like. Also taking into account the 8 players we have lost.

Mansell - xxxx - xxxx
Short - Nyuon - Brown

Banks - Baker - Ralphsmith
Soldo - Ross - Graham

Clarke - Bauer - Dow
Castagna - xxxx - Ryan

Colina - xxxx - xxxx - xxxx.

Some real holes with just 192cm Bauer as the only genuine key forward.

Three dinosaur rucks in Soldo, Colina, Ryan with Ryan probably having to play key fwd. If Soldo plays seniors then Miller will probably play KPD.

Just Nyuon as a key defender especially if Gibcus is played in the seniors which is likely imo.

Just 4 mids 5 if you include Short, the others being Ross, Dow, Graham and Baker.

Reckon we still need to find more mids inside and out, two big tall fwds,  a medium sized defender and of course a small/med fwd so we can get rid of Castagna once and for all.

You realise there is restrictions on list sizes ???
wtf i named 22 in the senior team and 16 in the twos. List sizes are are generally 44 that leaves 6 spots to round the list out to 44.
Its pretty plain looking at what is left for the two's and if we do the logical thing and try to mirror the structure we have in the seniors  then  we need two tall fwds im not talking quality thats just the type we lack. we lack mids in that team  and we lack a medium defender and depending on where Miller plays or Gibcus another tall defender.
That is 6 players which brings the number up to what is pretty standard for most at 44.

Sorry
I misunderstood the post

Apologise
No problems.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2022, 01:52:54 PM »
Your club's best 22 in 2023: Who's in, who's out, who's new

Sarah Black
afl.com.au
22 October 2022

Richmond had only one player on its injury list before its devastating elimination final loss to Brisbane, with Dylan Grimes well and truly set to reclaim his spot on the last line of defence in 2023. The Tigers have also only lost one player from that squad of 26 due to the retirement of Shane Edwards, and have added two first-class midfielders in former Giants duo Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper. The high quality of the recruits has pushed Tyler Sonsie, Jack Ross and Jack Graham to the emergency list, with Noah Cumberland also desperately unlucky to miss this 22. Of the next generation coming through, Judson Clarke as well as Tom Brown and Sam Banks (who are both yet to debut) are likely to get a crack at some point in 2023, while Hugo Ralphsmith, Jason Castagna and Thomson Dow also know what's required at AFL level.

B: Dylan Grimes, Noah Balta, Robbie Tarrant
HB: Nathan Broad, Nick Vlastuin, Daniel Rioli
C: Marlion Pickett, Jacob Hopper, Kamdyn McIntosh
HF: Maurice Rioli, Shai Bolton, Liam Baker
F: Jack Riewoldt, Dustin Martin, Tom Lynch
Foll: Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Tim Taranto
I/C: Josh Gibcus, Jayden Short, Trent Cotchin, Ben Miller

Emerg: Tyler Sonsie, Ivan Soldo, Jack Graham, Jack Ross

https://www.afl.com.au/news/858778/your-club-s-best-22-in-2023-who-s-in-who-s-out-who-s-new

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2022, 01:20:01 PM »
She probably is not too far off.

Still think Cumberland and M Rioli are the first two small/med  forwards picked.

Going by most teams i think the dog fight is on for three positions.

1 Mid spot between Baker, Short, Graham, Ross and Sonsie. If down to the club they will likely go one of or even two of Baker, Short or Graham leaving Cumberland out and finding a fwd role for one of them.. Me i would go Sonsie every day of the week and Cumberland is the better natural fwd of all of them..

1 Ruck spot between Soldo and Miller to give Nankervis a cut out.
To me it should be a no brainer. Miller primarily as a third tall fwd/ruck , he has the tools to play fwd and Soldo Just does not. fair dinkum the versatility he offers the team being able to play back, forward or second ruck means we would be crazy not to have him best 22 imo. For me if they talk rucks the choice should be between Soldo and Nankervis as first ruck.

1 tall defender spot. One of Grimes, Tarrant Balta, and Gibcus will miss. I think if Gibcus takes another step fwd then Balta is in the gun he will have to up the ante as well. Personally im finding a way to play Gibcus in as many games as possible perhaps if they go to best 23 then we can accomodate all of them.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2022, 10:31:48 PM »
Like that post Crawski.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2022, 11:54:51 PM »
I keep on going back and looking at our magoos.

I have long believed with your list you mirror what you do in the seniors in the reserves.
Its a simple formula that replicates your seniors needs totally in regards injury form and importantly development and pressure coming from underneath.

The idea is if we play two big key defenders which we have consistently and regularly over the years then you need to play two in the reserves as well.

In this we have the roles covered with plenty of potential and proven key defenders on the list.

Then on it goes Riewoldt and Lynch are proven key forwards but we don't have any in the two,s. I dont think Bauer is a genuine key fwd but a third tall of which he is the only one we have.

Okay where this is going to is the mids we have. Yes we have possibly the best group of mids in the comp but with Hopper and Taranto coming to us it has made people overlook the fact we have very few mids being developed in the reservesand imo are short on for them.

The most likely mids this year for the seniors are

McIntosh - Hopper - Pickett so im including the wingers here.

Nankervis - Taranto - Prestia.  Sort of speaks for itself. so far thats 6 mids/onballers.

Bolton - jr - Cumbers. Bolton obviously plays mostly mid but he will spend his share of time fwd.

Martin - TL - M Rioli. Dusty like shai will spend his share of time in the midfield the two make rotations very good and deep.so thats 8 mids/onballers.

Int will likely go Cotchin - Sonsie, Miller, and one of the left over mids in order, Graham, Short, Baker, Ross Dow.

Including rucks we will probably play 12 mids/onballers all up whose primary roles will be mid/onball in our senior team.

The concern while the left overs are great depth we go nowhere close to mirroring what we have in the seniors. Just my opinion but we desperately need junior mids probably three at least in development.

Obviously we also need at least two young key fwds along with say a journeyman type if Jack retires.

I will reiterate we have great mids and depth for the seniors when it comes to mids but we sure as hell are short on them for the reserves and there is not enough  with the long term in mind.

Probably should have posted this on the list management thread.

Take out the mids in sarah blacks team then do a reserves team with whats left and the problem becomes very clear.

In most areas of the teams we are very much doing things for right now and ignoring real list short comings and i don't think we have to i reckon we can still do both .

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2022, 02:07:36 PM »
Every AFL club’s best 22 for 2023

Fox Sports
December 6th, 2022 [/i]

With the trade period and draft now done, lists are close to their final makeup for the 2023 season.

Foxfooty.com.au predicts and analyses your club’s best 22 for next season.

RICHMOND

B: Dylan Grimes, Robbie Tarrant, Nathan Broad

HB: Nick Vlastuin, Noah Balta, Dan Rioli

C: Kamdyn McIntosh, Jacob Hopper, Marlion Pickett

HF: Tim Taranto, Jack Riewoldt, Shai Bolton

F: Noah Cumberland, Tom Lynch, Maurice Rioli Jr

FOLL: Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Dustin Martin

I/C: Liam Baker, Jayden Short, Trent Cotchin, Tyler Sonsie

WE SAY: Damien Hardwick has got two new ‘set and forget’ operators in Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper. Both will add immediate depth and potency to a Richmond midfield brigade that has at times been very thin. Their arrivals won’t make things any easier for Jack Graham as he attempts to break into the side more consistently, but it’s a healthy competition for spots. Dustin Martin’s position is highly dependant on how his body holds up, but with a great pre-season he could return to his midfield-forward best. The likes of Josh Gibcus may have to bide their time at the start of the year. Most of the Tigers’ draft acquisitions look to be depth players for the time being.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-best-22s-for-round-1-2023-list-changes-recruits-draftees-ins-and-outs-trades-draft-every-club/news-story/3544a44e6fc0e44538b4dd7de553603d

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2022, 04:01:08 PM »
Foxsport has reposted their best 22 for us on twitter.

Two straight years without winning a final, but many will have Richmond among the 2023 flag contenders. Are you one of them?

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1601758670924042240

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2022, 09:26:46 PM »
Like that post Crawski.

:o

Just further to the post.

Imo Graham and Ross have been well and truly surpassed by Taranto and Hopper.

Can just see Sonsie with Hopper and Taranto along with a firing Martin having it dished out to him to use the ball with precison.
This kid won't panic with ball in hand the way Short does.

The kid with ball in hand is  about the best player we have or potentially is, we want the ball in tylers hands.. thats the real beauty of getting the two big recruits.

His awareness or if you like peripheral vision allows him time and not to panic. His ability to use the ball very well on both sides along with his vision  would have our forwards licking their chops.

He just has to be played he will clearly become one of our best mids and is imo already in front of Short, Graham, Ross , and Baker as a mid. He brings something the other four do not, its polish and vision !!!! its something we have been lacking.

Miller as i said just offers us so much versatilility he offers us a decent second ruck option, he also offers us a reasonable third tall fwd option,  with his attributes he can only improve in this role.
 Last he has already shown he can play a KPD role for us, you never know an opposition fwd may be getting hold of us and he can be swung there or if a big key defender goes down in a game then he is ideal. He just offers  the team so much versatility and flexability.

We have found two damaging and accountable sml/med forwards in Rioli and Cumberland, we have anotherr half decent one in Clarke who i hope can keep them accountable.
We just have to start the two of them for the simple reason they are the best two options.
Not every one will have Miller, Sonsie, Cumberland, and M Rioli in the SAME  team but i think they should all be starting 18 or maybe in Millers case he comes from the bench depending on the role and the opposition.

We all talk about roles of our players. Well these 4  not so heralded players with  the roles they play are the better options for them. Sonsie as a mid is just a no brainer along with the two fwd options. Who are better permanent sml fwds than Rioli Cumberland? How can you over look the flexability Miller gives us and as a second ruck/fwd considering we have a starting ruck in the team is the best option..

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2022, 10:08:49 PM »
Claw, I'm not disagreeing about the talents of Sonsie, its just that its a huge responsibility to throw onto a kid with less than 15 career games.  For that reason expect the old guard to be handed the keys again while Taranto & Hopper come in & start doing some heavy lifting.  Any immediate improvement will come from those two, they are ready to step up while some of the old guard fall away. 
2024 is the time for Sonsie to come to the front, we will all be glad we gave him a chance to grow into the role instead of expecting the world from a kid.     :cheers

ps - I can see MRJ & Sonsie teaming up in the middle & starring for us ... soon ...   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2022, 10:45:18 PM »
Sonsie is the kid I am most excited about for sure. You can see his thinking and smarts are AFL standard. Body just needs to come along too.

MRJ probably next.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2022, 11:05:13 PM »
Claw, I'm not disagreeing about the talents of Sonsie, its just that its a huge responsibility to throw onto a kid with less than 15 career games.  For that reason expect the old guard to be handed the keys again while Taranto & Hopper come in & start doing some heavy lifting.  Any immediate improvement will come from those two, they are ready to step up while some of the old guard fall away. 
2024 is the time for Sonsie to come to the front, we will all be glad we gave him a chance to grow into the role instead of expecting the world from a kid.     :cheers

ps - I can see MRJ & Sonsie teaming up in the middle & starring for us ... soon ...

It has absolutely nothing to do with him being a kid. He is the best option for the team he is the better player so simply pick the better player. No reason why 2023 is not the time for sonsie and i can tell you if he is to come to the fore in 2024 he will be better prepared to do it by playing in 2023.
As i have already stated he brings something that most others don't in the club and thats real polish and class.That my friend is something we are lacking.
We got Hopper and Taranto for a reason they will carry the load along with a refreshed and fit Martin i hope. Sometimes kids are just too good to be left in the magoos. He had an injury riddled lead up to last year and he managed to shine when they eventually played him imo it was a joke they waited as long as they did.
He will now have a big preseason behind him and will be be ready and better.
He is not expected to do any grunt work he will have a nice cushy role with the likes of Prestia Taranto Hopper Cothchin and Martin getting it out to him.
Bottom line is if hes ready to go hes ready to go and everything points to him being ready and in front of his opposition for a mid spot.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2022, 12:22:39 AM »
Now I never said that Sonsie wont play in '23, he will & he will do well.  He is a rare talent & I want to see him out there. 
I just don't want to see the kid get crushed by the weight of expectation ...  is that fair enough?   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2022, 07:54:00 AM »
Now I never said that Sonsie wont play in '23, he will & he will do well.  He is a rare talent & I want to see him out there. 
I just don't want to see the kid get crushed by the weight of expectation ...  is that fair enough?   

It's only claw's expectation, Tyler will be fine haha

Offline MaccaDacca

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2022, 02:54:57 PM »
Barring injury Sonsie will play seniors most weeks next year. Nothing to be gained by him playing VFL now.