Author Topic: Shane Edwards [merged]  (Read 306714 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Shane Edwards [merged]
« Reply #1125 on: May 07, 2014, 09:56:17 PM »
Blair does his job well but who is he accountable to?
Too often he's the smartest bloke in the room and that's not healthy.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1126 on: May 07, 2014, 10:13:38 PM »

Personally , I question whether he is doing job well. He is the one who recommended Thomas, targeted Grigg, Houli, Chaplin.

And he is answerable to the GM of Football; Dan Richardson
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1127 on: May 07, 2014, 10:27:09 PM »

Personally , I question whether he is doing job well. He is the one who recommended Thomas, targeted Grigg, Houli, Chaplin.

To be fair to Blair he hardly targeted Thomas.  He was selected with the last choice in the ROOKIE draft.  So he wasn't even on the main list till Dimma said he wanted him to be elevated.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1128 on: May 07, 2014, 10:32:11 PM »

It's funny how you mention those last three names this year, but when they all helped us improve from year to year since they have been at the club, they were ok. At the time these guys were traded for we needed to do it. We made a final last year don't forget and nine other teams didn't! Forget the result, we won 16 games with these blokes in a tough comp.
I don't blame BH for these guys now, they should have been upgrade on with kids, not their fault either, if Dimma keeps playing them, it's on Dimma.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1129 on: May 07, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »
Whatever you think of him, Grigg was a brilliant trade considering it cost us superstar Andy Collins. :P

Most of the recycled fringe players have been at very low cost. The most expensive being Maric and Hampson.

Many of them have served a purpose but I expect us to put the broom through them this year with an uncompromised draft in play for the first time in several years.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1130 on: May 07, 2014, 10:44:08 PM »

To be fair to Blair he hardly targeted Thomas.  He was selected with the last choice in the ROOKIE draft.  So he wasn't even on the main list till Dimma said he wanted him to be elevated.

No actually they looked at trading for Thomas back in 2012 (zit here was multi page thread on here about it). BH was very keen back then, he makes these recommendations

It's funny how you mention those last three names this year, but when they all helped us improve from year to year since they have been at the club, they were ok. At the time these guys were traded for we needed to do it. We made a final last year don't forget and nine other teams didn't! Forget the result, we won 16 games with these blokes in a tough comp.
I don't blame BH for these guys now, they should have been upgrade on with kids, not their fault either, if Dimma keeps playing them, it's on Dimma.

Never wanted Grigg, never been a fan. What people are complaining about this year are the exact same things I've been raising for over 3 years now. Houli I didn't have a problem with because he filled a clear void.

I blame Blair for recommending which players to target from other clubs. Yep I can understand why we did it when we did but and it's a big but... He is the one who has recommended targeting established players rather going for kids. He is the one who in his role "values" other clubs players and then says giving up 2nd round pick for Hampson is a value trade.

I just believe BH has too much say in too many things and he has escaped scrutiny for our trading, FA targets and drafting mature age players rather than drafting kids when has clearly had a major role as the list analyst.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1131 on: May 07, 2014, 10:59:41 PM »

No actually they looked at trading for Thomas back in 2012 (zit here was multi page thread on here about it). BH was very keen back then, he makes these recommendations

Never wanted Grigg, never been a fan. What people are complaining about this year are the exact same things I've been raising for over 3 years now. Houli I didn't have a problem with because he filled a clear void.

I blame Blair for recommending which players to target from other clubs. Yep I can understand why we did it when we did but and it's a big but... He is the one who has recommended targeting established players rather going for kids. He is the one who in his role "values" other clubs players and then says giving up 2nd round pick for Hampson is a value trade.

I just believe BH has too much say in too many things and he has escaped scrutiny for our trading, FA targets and drafting mature age players rather than drafting kids when has clearly had a major role as the list analyst.
Firstly I don't rate Grigg really either but the facts are we paid 'not much' for him and he is better than we had at the time.  Pretty simple. As I said, if Dimma wants to keep playing him then that's on Dimma. It pretty clear both you and I wouldn't now.
Secondly, isn't BH's roll to find players that could potentially be an upgrade on some of our guys. If he was saying we should just draft kids then he would be out of a job. We employed him to do just what he has been doing.
And until this year, most of us would agree the players he bought into the club have helped when drafts were compromised. Nowhere did BH say these guys were here forever.
And lastly as drafting players is a risk so is trading for them. Some will work and some will not.
FJ is the one we need to upgrade on- I wish BH could do that.
Sorry one more thing, in all honesty, if the RFC had the upmost faith in FJ and his recruiting, then they wouldn't even need BH. But they don't and with VERY good reason.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #1132 on: May 07, 2014, 11:16:05 PM »
McMahon > Grigg
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1133 on: May 08, 2014, 06:40:27 AM »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1134 on: May 08, 2014, 07:00:22 AM »

Sorry one more thing, in all honesty, if the RFC had the upmost faith in FJ and his recruiting, then they wouldn't even need BH. But they don't and with VERY good reason.

Again with respect big tone, all clubs have a person in the same role (List Analyst & Opposition List Analyst) as Blair Hartley. RFC were one of the last clubs to have someone in that role.

FJ's job is recruiting. His recruiting is based on what he is told the club wants to target, the type of player they want (yes he's made some blues not disputing that). BH has input into that seeing he chairs the List Management committee. Blair will tell you that himself.

I just believe that Blair has far too much say in areas that he shouldn't. That's all

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1135 on: May 08, 2014, 07:46:25 AM »

Again with respect big tone, all clubs have a person in the same role (List Analyst & Opposition List Analyst) as Blair Hartley. RFC were one of the last clubs to have someone in that role.

FJ's job is recruiting. His recruiting is based on what he is told the club wants to target, the type of player they want (yes he's made some blues not disputing that). BH has input into that seeing he chairs the List Management committee. Blair will tell you that himself.

I just believe that Blair has far too much say in areas that he shouldn't. That's all
FJ identifies young talent first and foremost!!! After that the club may say what type of player they might need. But if FJ thought kid A would be better than kid B  that they might need, and FJ didn't put his foot down on player A, then he shouldn't be in his roll.
I cannot believe he still has a job with all his misses.
Not sure what your problem is with BH but his record stands up against FJ.
And no offense to you WP but you are only an outsider looking in, but in reality you have no idea what goes on behind the doors of the RFC. None of us do.

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #1136 on: May 08, 2014, 08:00:03 AM »
Blair has done ok for someone who was editing videos 12 years ago

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1137 on: May 08, 2014, 09:30:53 AM »
Everyone starts at the bottom.

I'm a fan of Hartley and think he is a valuable asset to the club.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1138 on: May 08, 2014, 09:52:56 AM »
funny that someone that failed in the industry would bring what someone else was doing 12 years ago.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1139 on: May 08, 2014, 10:43:30 AM »
Not sure what your problem is with BH but his record stands up against FJ.

Outside of the fact he appears to escape any form of scrutiny regarding his role in the state of our list....

You are correct I do have a problem with him not afraid to admit it. But I'll leave it at that.

And no offense to you WP but you are only an outsider looking in, but in reality you have no idea what goes on behind the doors of the RFC. None of us do.

None taken and I'll leave it there  ;) :thumbsup