Author Topic: Shane Edwards [merged]  (Read 306699 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Shane Edwards [merged]
« Reply #1155 on: May 11, 2014, 12:35:44 PM »
Fair rookie draft that year.....any two of Wellingham, Harbrow, Suckling or Macaffer ahead of Tasman Clingan & Jake King would've been handy.
Ok. Tell us who we should rookie this year since you know better.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

the claw

« Reply #1156 on: May 11, 2014, 01:25:02 PM »
Have a look at it. Not much talent there. We did ok considering what was available.

Try not to cherry pick with hindsight..
i dont do hindsight bud. the only decent pick in 06 was riewoldt.06 is a great example of why we have been so mediocre over the yrs.finding 1 player per draft will mean failure no matter how poor the draft or who the team is.while all you rose sniffers were applauding the club for taking edwards i was lambasting them and argued as i usually do, that eric mckenzie was not only a better pick but met a far greater need. for the last 13 14 yrs i have lambasted them before during and straight after each nd for the picks they have taken and failing to address list needs.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1157 on: May 11, 2014, 01:32:01 PM »
Have a look at it. Not much talent there. We did ok considering what was available.

for the last 13 14 yrs i have lambasted them before during and straight after each nd for the picks they have taken and failing to address list needs.

Maybe time for a rest?

the claw

« Reply #1158 on: May 11, 2014, 02:39:14 PM »

for the last 13 14 yrs i have lambasted them before during and straight after each nd for the picks they have taken and failing to address list needs.

Maybe time for a rest?
the flower sniffers would like that.

when they can get these things right maybe then i will give it a rest.
yep 06 was a great trade/nd  collins, connors, kingsley,peterson,polak, and edwards and riewoldt. 1 out of 7 aint bad eh. ffs.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #1159 on: May 11, 2014, 03:30:23 PM »
Fair rookie draft that year.....any two of Wellingham, Harbrow, Suckling or Macaffer ahead of Tasman Clingan & Jake King would've been handy.

Was just pointing out it was a fair rookie draft that year not wasn't implying I knew better at the time ....besides, how the stuff would I know who'll even be available in this year's rookie draft before we've even had the National Draft or PSD yet?  twit.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1160 on: May 11, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »

Was just pointing out it was a fair rookie draft that year not wasn't implying I knew better at the time ....besides, how the stuff would I know who'll even be available in this year's rookie draft before we've even had the National Draft or PSD yet?  twit.
Just pointing out that it's easy to take pot shots at recruiting after the fact. twit.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1161 on: May 11, 2014, 04:11:24 PM »
"twit" and "Knob Jockey" you two should hook up
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1162 on: May 11, 2014, 05:00:45 PM »

Also, have you considered that we may have recruited well but or player development has meant that all but the very best can ever progress?  So it may have nothing to do with player choice.  Probably has been that way at Richmond for many years.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1163 on: May 12, 2014, 02:36:45 AM »

Also, have you considered that we may have recruited well but or player development has meant that all but the very best can ever progress?  So it may have nothing to do with player choice.  Probably has been that way at Richmond for many years.

It's clearly been a combination of poor recruiting and poor development over the years....they exacerbate each other.

The two picks from 2006 rookie draft are not really an example of this though....Clingan was just poor recuiting alone and I doubt he would've made it at any club. Many junior watchers & experts at the time were astonished he made it onto an AFL list, even as a rookie.

You could make several arguments for & against King - doubt any other club could've got much more out of him than we have - but it's probably down to his own desire & work ethic more than anything we ever instilled in him. On the other hand he probably wouldn't have played close to even half the games at any other club than he has with us, which is also an indictment on the club. People forget he was pretty atrocious for the first few years  (except when he played Collingwood & Carlton) and really only had one purple patch of about a year an a half, of which he was red hot for about a half a season and was arguably one of our most important players and had an onfield presence that was only matched at the club when Maric arrived. Most clubs however would've likely delisted him before that though and I personally thought he was close to the worst player in the AFL - an over excitable, ill-disciplined headless chicken- before he came good. (Too be fair he was being played in wrong part of the ground for the first half of his career too.) In the wash up though he was a good get for a second round rookie pick and probably second only to Foley as our best ever rookie pick up....which again could be seen as another indictment on the club.

In hindsight, I'd hazard a guess that the other players mentioned would've been at the very least on a par with King at his best even if they'd been half as good as they are with our crap development.  We could certainly do with Suckling's footskills coming out of the back half, that's for damn sure.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Shane Edwards re-signs with Tigers for two more years (afl site)
« Reply #1164 on: May 21, 2014, 05:33:49 PM »
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-21/another-free-agent-down

Absolute stuffing joke.....getting extremely hard to take this club seriously anymore...

- Thomas Sowell

dwaino

Re: Shane Edwards re-signs with Tigers for two more years (afl site)
« Reply #1165 on: May 21, 2014, 05:59:24 PM »
 :chuck

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1166 on: May 21, 2014, 06:02:36 PM »
Well deserved. Unlucky not to get 3.  :clapping

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1167 on: May 21, 2014, 06:03:53 PM »
 Its our way of getting something, no matter how small, at the trade table.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1168 on: May 21, 2014, 06:13:07 PM »
Its our way of getting something, no matter how small, at the trade table.

You really think the club's that smart?

- Thomas Sowell

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1169 on: May 21, 2014, 06:21:22 PM »
It's all due to lack of psychological counselling.

The psyche of Richmond players Is damaged and they never address it. Weak between the ears.

That's the MAIN issue.
Caracella and Balmey.