Author Topic: NRL thread  (Read 55752 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: NRL - Melbourne Storm
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2011, 10:19:36 PM »
Good riddons Carlton sorry i meant Storm

Cheats
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #241 on: September 24, 2011, 10:45:40 PM »

Cheats

I agree with this. IMO from an outsiders prospective because I don't follow NRL very closely fans have been to quick to forgive a club that has had a legacy of cheating.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2011, 11:38:17 PM »

Cheats

I agree Dan. Headquarters at Princess Park wear navy blue and were caught cheating says enough for me really. Eventually when you shack up with poo you start smelling and looking like it too.

I am more peeved as a Wests Tigers fan that we lost last week and the game winning try should not have been awarded and thus possibly we would be talking of Manly vs Wests Tigers Grand Final.

NRL may struggle to fill the Olympic Stadium next week. Will be like watching Nought and St Kilda.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #243 on: September 25, 2011, 07:49:01 AM »

Cheats

I agree with this. IMO from an outsiders prospective because I don't follow NRL very closely fans have been to quick to forgive a club that has had a legacy of cheating.

Probably because they took their medicine and got on with it.

The gut feeling amongst many is that they were ones caught and made oan example of for something that is (was?) rife in the comp.

The sad thing is that the whole thing detracts from what a good coach Bellamy is, although the Warriors seem to have his measure.

Now Tucker, were your alliances originally with Wests or Balmain?

I was a Balmain supporter, but with them merging with the Magpies and Storm coming in that was it for me.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #244 on: September 25, 2011, 10:07:56 AM »
Melb Storm lost.
Warriors win 20 - 12
The Storm's gameplan seemed to be take 5 tackles then a useless kick straight to a NZ player. The Storm are normally very creative and keep the ball alive but tonight they were so dull and predictable. Only have themselves to blame for losing.

yes the Storm kicking game was poor to say the least and it wans't helped by their inability to not get over the half way wark when going forward

I reckon the Warriors play a very similar style Storm, probably explains why the match up so well on them. Discussing it on the way back to the car I made the comment that the Warriors out "stormed the Storm" ;D and the Storm had no plan B

have to say it was a strange feeling after the game. I enjoy watching the Storm but I admit I dont have the same passion for them that I do for the Tigers, so after the game I wasn't angry, or upset or even very disappointed - just thought it was a good game and the better team won on the day  :P
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2011, 10:14:07 AM »
Quote from: WilliamPowell link=topic=4595.msg260461#msg260461
have to say it was a strange feeling after the game. I enjoy watching the Storm but I admit I dont have the same passion for them that I do for the Tigers, so after the game I wasn't angry, or upset or even very disappointed

Getting too upset over the storm losing would be like getting jealous when your mistress roots around.
 :rollin

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2011, 11:11:16 AM »

Cheats

Probably because they took their medicine and got on with it.

The gut feeling amongst many is that they were ones caught and made oan example of for something that is (was?) rife in the comp.

The sad thing is that the whole thing detracts from what a good coach Bellamy is, although the Warriors seem to have his measure.

Now Tucker, were your alliances originally with Wests or Balmain?

I was a Balmain supporter, but with them merging with the Magpies and Storm coming in that was it for me.

yeah okay so i must have been hearing someone else say their wins were fair at the Dally M when they cheated their way to the top.

Im not a big league fan by any means but that was poor IMO

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #247 on: September 25, 2011, 12:18:38 PM »
"yeah okay so i must have been hearing someone else say their wins were fair at the Dally M when they cheated their way to the top."

Sorry daniel, im not too sure what you are trying to say here.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2011, 01:16:12 PM »
"yeah okay so i must have been hearing someone else say their wins were fair at the Dally M when they cheated their way to the top."

Sorry daniel, im not too sure what you are trying to say here.

Bellamy at the Dally M coach of the year speech  said he thought the Storm deserved those wins that they were stripped off.

That's hardly an endorsement for taking your medicine and moving on.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2011, 03:22:57 PM »
Bellamy at the Dally M coach of the year speech  said he thought the Storm deserved those wins that they were stripped off.

That's hardly an endorsement for taking your medicine and moving on.

Sorry daniel that's not what he said. The word fair was never ever mentioned.

He was asked despite the NRL striping the Storm of the premierships if he felt his teams were still the premiers

He answered that depsite what the record books say they still felt they won those flags because of the all the hard work they players, staff & coaches put in, they went out an played to the best of their ability and won the game. He certainly wasn't bitter and at no stage mentioned the word fair. He was simply asked a question by the host on the night. A question that everyone knew was provocative. Lets be honest it doesn't matter how he answered the media were going to jump on it

Let me finish by saying that I don't condone what the Storm did and to a point I agree with the penalities handed out. The NRL had made it clear years before that you cheat the salary cap then the punishment will be swift and severe, just ask the Bulldogs who heading towards GF glory and a few weeks out from the finals had all the points striped off them. It's a pity the AFL didn't have the same courage about taking away premierships when the Blues cheated

However, dont lose sight of the fact that the cheating was done in the front office not by the players or the coach but the enitre Club (rightly) was punished. With the most innocent people being the fans who were the ones who lost the most..  their crime in this was simply following a club

What is most the most pathetic part of this whole mess is the fact that other parties who were most likely involved in this sordid mees and are who are yet to be bought to account are the player managers. 12 months after the event they are still being investigated. That's in indictment on the NRL IMHO
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:28:44 AM by WilliamPowell »

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2011, 10:39:13 PM »
Supported Balmain Al from early on when I found out the NRL had a Tigers team also.
Can remember losing to Canterbury in 1988 and then Canberra in the unloseable Grand Final in 1989 and then all pretty much slowly downhill.
I can understand people jumping onto the Storm when they came into into the comp in 1998 and I know just like the National Comp has worked in AFL it needs to succeed in NRL but I still support the Tigers. I have never supported the Storm openly although I was never upset when they won or lost the GF's they have participated recently.
I was glued to the TV in 2005 when we beat the Cowboys in the decider after we went on a huge late season run which saw us eventually win the Premiership.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #251 on: September 26, 2011, 07:22:04 PM »
Cheers tucker.

I still have a soft spot for the NRL tiges...as long as i forget they merged with the magpies  ;D

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #252 on: October 02, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »
Manly wins NRL grand Final defeating Warriors 24-10  :sleep :sleep

Can't stand Manly  :rollin :rollin

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2012, 11:32:10 AM »
In great news for the Storm HB Cooper Cronk has re-signed for a further 4 years with the Storm

Turned down a massive offer from the Titans to stay loyal. Though how the titans can be out signing players when they are on the verge of being shutdown because they are broke beggars belief - but another topic for another day

I will admit I thought Cronk was "goneskis" as loyalty is not a massive thing in the NRL with the way players sell themselves to the highest bidder

Well done Cooper Cronk  :clapping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #254 on: March 29, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »
Though how the titans can be out signing players when they are on the verge of being shutdown because they are broke beggars belief - but another topic for another day
The NRL surely can't let them fold with the tv right deal under negotiation.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd