Author Topic: Richmond ressies/VFL side [merged]  (Read 430244 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: RFC to go it alone at VFL Level in 2014
« Reply #525 on: December 10, 2013, 06:46:31 PM »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

the claw

« Reply #526 on: December 10, 2013, 10:37:59 PM »
The idea of having our own reserves is for the development of players already on our list and that will be the main focus of the list assembled.

We would have little to gain in taking young players that we have no hold over and developing them.
totally disagree. what is wrong with putting say 21 thru 25 yr olds into our team and have a good look at em get to know em. wasnt  the psd about that but over a much shorter period. what an opportunity to actually hide a player as well. there are plenty who have performed admirably at the lower levels and we chose to ignore em.
ffs why so many veterans. why so few under 24.
a small number for balance yeah, but why put a lot of resources into players for other clubs to take from under our noses?
perfect opportunity to hide them?
LMAO are we going to make the good ones wear groucho marx masks when they play so no one recognises them? ask that games are played under the same conditions as closed barrier trials?

why so many veterans? pretty obvious really. to provide leadership for our own young players.

The whole point of having our own vfl side is for development of our listed players. That is what the team make up is primarily geared towards.

But seems as you totally disagree, what do you think the main objective of having our own VFL side is?
why does development have to be totally exclusive for all players other than our own.
no better way to know what a player can do than have him in your system. we are never going to draft 28 30 plus yr olds but if we have enough around the 24 yr old mark  we may just see enough in one or two to actually put em on our list. so what if another club happens to see something as well. its an opportunity to have a darn good long look at experienced players who may just be the next steve morris. and we would have the advantage of him being in our system. sheesh it aint rocket science, but just a bit of common sense.

oh al im sure even you can think of many ways to hide a player with out me having to spell it out.

yes why so many veterans? why not mature players you know 22 thru say 26 max with the odd vet rather than almost the other way around.
 our magoos isnt exactly chock fu;ll of kids, dunno if ya noticed but we only took one 18 yr old and most have him pencilled in to play seniors.  besides  we do have our fair share of mature players and vets already  ffs we just rookied and drafted how many. was that 6 i hear. this we need  lots of vets to guide our kids is a lot of codswallop today. it may have been relevant two yrs ago but not any more.

give or take the odd player and the odd position being wrong  our reserves side without the supplimentary players.

b/ batchelor 22 - darrou 20 - newman 31. / petterd 25.
hb/ dea 22 - astbury 23 - mcintosh 20.
yes newman aside its a little inexprienced and could do with another  mature player but not neccesarily a vet. the talls are young and we could do with a mature kpd but not neccesarily a veteran.

c/ miles 22 - thomas  27 - williams 19
r/ stephenson 31 - king 30 - arnot 20.
the engine room doesnt lack for experience.

hf/ lloyd 24 - elton 20 - banfield 23
f/ mcbean 19 - griffiths 22 - a edwards 30
clearly the tall forwards are young and yes we could do with a mature tall forward but again why does it have to be a 29 plus yr old.

int/ mcdonough 20 - ohanlon 20  - helbig 23 - petterd 25.

was there really a need for so many vets when look at the above.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #527 on: December 10, 2013, 11:05:55 PM »
Anyone consider a young guy that wants to play AFL won't play for us because he doesn't want to make way for a RFC listed player? Sheesh it ain't rocket science I wouldn't have thought.

Fact is the RFC guys will take precedent over any VFL listed guys. The VFL listed guys go back to their local club to play when not needed. Do you think a guy in his early 20's with both the ability to play AFL and the desire to reach that level would be willing to drop out of the side because an RFC guy needs his spot? Not a chance in hell. And if he is willing to give up his spot then he may as well give up any hope of playing AFL anyway.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #528 on: December 10, 2013, 11:06:44 PM »
actually i cant think of any ways to hide a player constantly performing at VFL level.
perhaps you can spell it out, coz i reckon i wouldnt be the only one.

I'm not to sure how much common sense there is in putting too much effort into developing young blokes you have no exclusive rights, and it seems that the AFL clubs that field a VFL side feel the same.

why does development have to be totally exclusive for all players other than our own.
really? happy to spend resources developing player for other clubs? That's mighty generous of you, but........

you never answered the question about what you think the reserves side is for BTW.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:50:04 AM by one-eyed »
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #529 on: December 11, 2013, 12:27:49 AM »
Discuss the footy topic and without the personal insults and without turning the thread into a personal slanging match ppl  ::)

Anyway back to the topic...

VIDEO: Hardwick's speech at the VFL launch ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-12-10/hardwick-at-vfl-launch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick believes the Tigers’ new VFL team is a significant stepping stone on the Club’s path to sustained success.

“It’s very exciting.  We get to develop and control the destiny of our players,” Hardwick said at the official launch of Richmond’s VFL side at the ME Bank Centre last Friday.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-12-10/dimmas-vfl-delight
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:52:08 AM by one-eyed »

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #530 on: December 11, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »
Anyone consider a young guy that wants to play AFL won't play for us because he doesn't want to make way for a RFC listed player? Sheesh it ain't rocket science I wouldn't have thought.

Fact is the RFC guys will take precedent over any VFL listed guys. The VFL listed guys go back to their local club to play when not needed. Do you think a guy in his early 20's with both the ability to play AFL and the desire to reach that level would be willing to drop out of the side because an RFC guy needs his spot? Not a chance in hell. And if he is willing to give up his spot then he may as well give up any hope of playing AFL anyway.

You've ignored a few facts on the way though here.
The young guy that wants to play AFL has just been passed over in both the National Draft and the Rookie Draft. So he hardly has the ability to play AFL in the AFL recruiters opinions.
Note that we are not talking about regular experienced VFL players. We are talking about kids from TAC trying to get up a level to VFL and then up another level to AFL.

He is now looking at what options are left. He can either stay at his home club or do what many kids do and try to get on a VFL list as the next best option.
His choices are somewhat limited by all VFL lists being dominated by experienced hardened bodies because the stand alone clubs must have success to survive and the AFL aligned teams are grooming their listed kids.

A young guy that wants to play AFL will play for us because a) he is under the noses of AFL coaches every week and b) he can get a VFL game due to injury in either VFL or AFL (causing an elevation of RFC players). If, by comparison a kid is trying out for Port Melbourne, he will only get a game due to injury of a senior player.

The numbers are no better at a stand alone VFL team.
At Port Melbourne you will be on a list of 60. At Port you will be playing VFL or reserves if you are in the best 44. Presumably leftovers play seniors in a lower competition.
At Richmond VFL you will be on a list of 46 (46 RFC minus 22 AFL plus 22 VFL). At Richmond you play VFL if you are in the best 22 or seniors in a lower competition.

If given the choice between Richmond or Port Melbourne, I know which one I would grab as a kid straight out of TAC still hoping for AFL.
At Richmond VFL you also get the chance to see close up what is required to play AFL plus the casual input of people like Chocco and other support staff.

gerkin greg

« Reply #531 on: December 11, 2013, 03:46:38 PM »
If I was a kid that got passed over id be off to a decent comp like the SANFL and play with a club better than RFC VFL. I'm after game time in a good comp to improve, not running around in a quasi training squad hoping for a game. That's what most kids actually do so can't see that changing just because Richmond now have their own VFL team.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #532 on: December 11, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »
was there really a need for so many vets when look at the above.

Was there really a need for so many young VFL players when you look at the fact they are not on our senior list or rookie list  :huh

. its an opportunity to have a darn good long look at experienced players who may just be the next steve morris.

We have a one in eighteen chance of drafting the next steve morris the following year

oh al im sure even you can think of many ways to hide a player with out me having to spell it out.

I am afriad you are going to have to spel it out cause I can think of zero ways to hide a VFL listed player
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:58:08 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #533 on: December 11, 2013, 06:59:03 PM »
@Jonesracing82 - "during the season, will there be a way to track live game scores from games online?"

‏@RichmondVFL - "yep, we will have Twitter at each game and maybe some live streaming as well"

https://twitter.com/RichmondVFL

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #534 on: December 11, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »
If I was a kid that got passed over id be off to a decent comp like the SANFL and play with a club better than RFC VFL. I'm after game time in a good comp to improve, not running around in a quasi training squad hoping for a game. That's what most kids actually do so can't see that changing just because Richmond now have their own VFL team.

Agree

Would think it would make more sense to go and play in one of the 2nd tier comps where you are likely to get a senior game weekly rather than hoping to get a few senior games depending on the AFL teams injury list
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

gerkin greg

« Reply #535 on: December 11, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »
Nice to see VFL finally accepted as a 3rd tier comp

Yes WP, we were just waiting on you to make it official

Rampstar

« Reply #536 on: December 11, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »
If they gonna have live streaming of games then they should have it done properly. They should pay someone like Silverspoon Productions to stream games on the net. They did VPL games for the FFV and did it pretty well. If they are just gonna do what they do with the B&F night etc then they may as well not do anything. Pay for it and if they have to they can charge some money from the supporters for the rights to watch even though finding a sponsor for it would be pretty easy IMHO.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #537 on: December 11, 2013, 11:58:44 PM »
Pretty much what I said last night but claw thinks it's ridiculous so you're definitely wrong. FFS get it right gerks  :banghead

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #538 on: December 12, 2013, 08:44:44 AM »
Discuss the footy topic and without the personal insults and without turning the thread into a personal slanging match ppl  ::)

LMAO

soft edit, while letting much worse direct insults go by..................
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #539 on: December 12, 2013, 10:20:16 AM »

You've ignored a few facts on the way though here.
The young guy that wants to play AFL has just been passed over in both the National Draft and the Rookie Draft. So he hardly has the ability to play AFL in the AFL recruiters opinions.
Note that we are not talking about regular experienced VFL players. We are talking about kids from TAC trying to get up a level to VFL and then up another level to AFL.

He is now looking at what options are left. He can either stay at his home club or do what many kids do and try to get on a VFL list as the next best option.
His choices are somewhat limited by all VFL lists being dominated by experienced hardened bodies because the stand alone clubs must have success to survive and the AFL aligned teams are grooming their listed kids.

A young guy that wants to play AFL will play for us because a) he is under the noses of AFL coaches every week and b) he can get a VFL game due to injury in either VFL or AFL (causing an elevation of RFC players). If, by comparison a kid is trying out for Port Melbourne, he will only get a game due to injury of a senior player.

The numbers are no better at a stand alone VFL team.
At Port Melbourne you will be on a list of 60. At Port you will be playing VFL or reserves if you are in the best 44. Presumably leftovers play seniors in a lower competition.
At Richmond VFL you will be on a list of 46 (46 RFC minus 22 AFL plus 22 VFL). At Richmond you play VFL if you are in the best 22 or seniors in a lower competition.

If given the choice between Richmond or Port Melbourne, I know which one I would grab as a kid straight out of TAC still hoping for AFL.
At Richmond VFL you also get the chance to see close up what is required to play AFL plus the casual input of people like Chocco and other support staff.

Sorry I was talking about guys actually good enough. The RFC VFL team won't be picked on form. If a 19yo is performing better than say Helbig, who will play? Helbig. Meaning the kid has to go back and play local footy with no one watching. At Port Melbourne he will be picked on form (some ordinary kids have gotten games there over the last couple of years) and if his form isn't up to it, still play VFL reserves which recruiters will regularly go to.

We have got some 19/20yo's in the side anyway. Just not highly rated ones. McCartney is probably the highest rated and I imagine he'll hardly get a game and be gone by the year after.

Each week there is 22 guys not playing AFL which makes up a VFL team. The VFL list will only get games when there is an injury to someone. Young (as captain) will be first cab off the rank. Then you've got the other experienced guys to help out our young midfield as well. Guys like Batsanis Contin, Davey, Clay, Keddell, McGough and Wynne will get a go. Then maybe after a few of them get a go a young kid will get a crack. If it's a tall that gets injured then we've got Barlow, Bathie, Wall and Waite will be called upon. Maybe a young ruck would get a chance and that's about it.