Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 367231 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #3075 on: June 01, 2024, 10:50:33 PM »
Seriously how can the interpretation of HTB change so drastically in season like it has. 
What a shambles the game has become

It literally changed halfway through the game...and mostly only applied to one side.... :banghead
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3076 on: June 01, 2024, 11:08:41 PM »
stuffen cheats got a pep talk from the umpires boss at halftime.  Shocking rang him and made sure of it.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3077 on: June 01, 2024, 11:59:50 PM »
Seriously how can the interpretation of HTB change so drastically in season like it has. 
What a shambles the game has become

Because there was a memo this week

AFL demanded how it gets umpired be changed. Actually think the game was better for it. They just need to be consistent with it. Also calling for a ball up before it turns into rugby maul is an improvement
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #3078 on: June 02, 2024, 07:01:07 AM »
I can’t believe how a game can be umpired in 2 different ways in 2 halves.
The second half was biased against us IMHO

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3079 on: June 02, 2024, 09:19:17 AM »
stuffen cheats got a pep talk from the umpires boss at halftime.  Shocking rang him and made sure of it.

This. Not sure about the shocking part but certainly the first part is accurate
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3080 on: June 02, 2024, 10:05:02 AM »
I can’t believe how a game can be umpired in 2 different ways in 2 halves.
The second half was biased against us IMHO

As I prepare for the whacks from the usual suspects...

Bloke sitting next to me said the same as you MintOnLamb but overall I had no issues with how they umpired.

I think when fatigue sets in (due to some of our blokes clearly not being fit enough) you're going to get pinged more and that's what happened

Up until half time the Feral Cat's Fans were sooking about the umpiring, saying the same thing as people have posted about last night's game
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 01:18:34 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Wazza

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #3081 on: June 02, 2024, 11:00:27 AM »
Is it just a coincidence that we were paid frees and the tiges were "on" or was it that we were playing well due to the frees??

As always when frees aren't paid it can change momentum of a game due to play not stopping and getting ball back in hand. This has always been the problem with umpiring. It's the obvious ones they don't pay. Not what they do......

BTW did anyone catch the article during the week about the umpires being coached during the game through the ear piece??

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3082 on: June 08, 2024, 02:04:37 AM »
Shooting Stars: Lachlan Murphy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIr5lJhF9kA

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3083 on: June 09, 2024, 05:58:28 AM »
"It was clearly, in my view, a free kick that was unwarranted."

Damien Hardwick's take on the late free kick against Mac Andrew.

https://x.com/7AFL/status/1799420544774713472

------

So there’s been three games of footy today and you could argue they were all decided by dubious free kicks

Hawks vs GWS - Downfield on Sicily

Roos vs Eagles - HTB on Yeo

Saints vs Suns - Holding the main against Andrew

Games in a great place

https://x.com/Aaronaldo37/status/1799411789320605884

---------

Our great game of AFL is becoming frustrating to watch. So many puzzling umpiring decisions that are impacting momentum and results. My biggest concern is that the very fabric of our game is under threat. Is it worth committing to winning the ball in its current format?

https://x.com/MickMCGU34/status/1799411997102264829

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3084 on: June 09, 2024, 08:21:11 AM »
Even with a different interpretation of the rule they are still missing obvious examples of holding the ball. Eg the tackle by Bolton which eventually led to kmac being awarded the free and last night in saints game they missed what was the perfect example of holding the ball. The players fans and commentators were mysterfied
« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 05:10:01 PM by eliminator »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3085 on: June 09, 2024, 09:22:52 AM »
Yes, 3 games directly decided by umpiring decisions

This week is being umpired differently (again) to last week

The HTB decisions are apparently now a flip of a coin  :banghead

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #3086 on: June 09, 2024, 12:11:33 PM »
If they got rid of prior opportunity it would clarify the game a lot.

Also when a player is tackled and the ball goes oob then it is a throw in, I don’t understand this rule interpretation as the tackle is what causes the result.

Whatever way you look at it it is all very frustrating.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3087 on: June 09, 2024, 12:58:52 PM »

Also when a player is tackled and the ball goes oob then it is a throw in, I don’t understand this rule interpretation as the tackle is what causes the result.

Just trying to understand what your saying here as you’ve previously referenced how it used to be interpreted and I was too young to remember that.

Would what your saying advocate the decision against Yeo from yesterday? I’ve gotta say imo that is a disgraceful decision. He’s tackled a player, the ball has come loose in the tackle, he’s then picked it up and been tackled straight away and been pinged holding the ball.

I fear for the game if that’s the direction we’re going in, where players genuinely attempting to play the ball are being penalised. Going to get to a stage where players are huddled around the ball scared to pick it up and instead are waiting for the oppo to do so, so they can then tackle and win holding the ball.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3088 on: June 09, 2024, 01:47:35 PM »

Just trying to understand what your saying here as you’ve previously referenced how it used to be interpreted and I was too young to remember that.

Would what your saying advocate the decision against Yeo from yesterday? I’ve gotta say imo that is a disgraceful decision. He’s tackled a player, the ball has come loose in the tackle, he’s then picked it up and been tackled straight away and been pinged holding the ball.

I fear for the game if that’s the direction we’re going in, where players genuinely attempting to play the ball are being penalised. Going to get to a stage where players are huddled around the ball scared to pick it up and instead are waiting for the oppo to do so, so they can then tackle and win holding the ball.

What make the Yeo decision worse is that a free should have paid Yeo's tackle on Simpkins. That was clear HTB but the umps said play on and then pins a bloke for simple attacking the ball and taking possession.  There was no prior at all. As you said TK disgraceful decision

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #3089 on: June 09, 2024, 02:07:07 PM »

I'm a massive advocate for getting rid of prior opportunity (P.O) and getting rid of the gray of the game. 
A player doesn't need to "possess" the ball. They can tap, punch or kick it off the ground hopefully to a free teammate, if a player "chooses" to possess the ball they must then disposal of the ball by either hand or foot.
This was how it was mostly adjudicated in the years prior to the introduction of P.O.

In the Yeo decision probably could've been a free kick in the first instance because it was arguably high contact. But in relation to him getting pinged for holding the ball then if there was no P.O then it would be holding the ball every time because P.O isn't a consideration at all. He chose to possess the ball and he now must dispose of the ball in a legal fashion when tackled.

Unlike now, priory to P.O, there wasn't a negation of play and an awareness of trying to force stoppage.
Yeo and all current players  being brought up with footy knowing only P.O know if they possess the ball and are immediately tackled know they will get away with stoppage if they fain or even fake intent to dispose of the footy knowing that a stoppage will be called.
So with the current rule the questions are asked did he pick up the footy or did he drag it in under him or did he dive on it blah blah blah. Too many variables and all open to interpretation.

In the past before P.O. the player knows that he must dispose of the ball when tackled knowing beforehand it doesn't matter how quick he gets tackled after he gets it.
It's black and white for everyone, players and non-players alike all knew the rule.

Granted it was messy at times but the cream didn't look messy. Player like Paul Couch, Dean Kemp, Dale Weightman, Maurice Rioli snr and Deisel Williams were absolute guns at getting the ball and disposing of the ball to a teammate.
If the rule was removed then the most skillful players will adapt and be able to still win the footy and get the ball out. If they can't they will find other entertaining ways of giving themselves more space and separation and even teammates will shepherd more.
The club that keeps giving.