Author Topic: Callum Coleman-Jones traded to Norf [Official]  (Read 99297 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Callum Coleman-Jones wants to be traded to Norf [merged]
« Reply #300 on: September 16, 2021, 01:59:49 PM »

His manager should have a word in his ear …

By all reports his manager has had a word and is encouraging him to go
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #301 on: September 16, 2021, 02:41:51 PM »

Of course.

Commission!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2021, 02:57:21 PM »
Damian Barrett actually very kind to us today in his podcast.

He said:

* There's a history of fringe players in dynasty teams not being as good as they appear and struggling when they move to another club.

* He is in the minority but doesn't think losing both CCJ & Chol will hurt Richmond. Neither were part of our best 22.

* Harder to play well in poorer sides. Good luck to CCJ at North who have only won four games this year and to Chol at the terrible Suns.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/677266/listen-why-history-s-calling-gawn-roos-circling-this-tiger-hard

Remember Shane Morrison.  Kept out by Jonathon Brown.  Yeah right!

A chill went through like I was possessed by a ghost when the name Shane Morrison came up.
Poor man’s Johno Brown I recall  :lol
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2021, 06:23:39 PM »
This situation very much reminds me of Ben Lennon at the end of 2015. Like CCJ he struggled to break into the team (albeit we were much worse back then) and only got to play a handful of games where he managed to have the odd good game or 2 which had supporters pining for him to be selected/re-signed. After flirting with Carlton he eventually in the off-season when out of contract he finally re-signed and well 2 seasons later he was delisted and has never played AFL footy again.

Like I said we’ve lost a number of fringe players over the past 5 years and none have come back to haunt us. I’d back the club in knowing CCJs worth and offering a fair contract in terms of length and $$$ and if he still wants to go to north then good luck to him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #304 on: September 21, 2021, 07:10:23 AM »
Hardwick said there was still a bit to play out in Coleman-Jones’ situation, even declaring the out-of-contract Tiger was a “required player”.

“We haven’t actually worked our way through this, but for us he’s a required player. He’s requested a trade to the Kangas, which is disappointing.

Hardwick then cheekily added: “We look forward to receiving Pick 1 coming back our way.”

Chol, 24, has played 31 games for Richmond since being selected as a rookie in late 2015, while Coleman-Jones has managed just nine matches after being taken with Pick 20 in the 2017 national draft.

“It is hard because we’ve been together on a journey,” Hardwick said.

“They just want to play. I can sit there and say ‘listen I can try and try and try’, but the reality is they want to play, every kid – and that’s the challenge (for us) being at the top for a little period of time. We’ve got some players that are capable of playing some regular AFL footy and they just don’t quite get the chance.”

Source: Foxsports.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #305 on: September 21, 2021, 08:37:01 AM »
I really liked Ben Lennon or at least always remained optimistic about his upside.. Obviously not on the same league as Cripps but I thought he would actually be good without being elite.

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #306 on: September 21, 2021, 09:10:02 AM »
I really liked Ben Lennon or at least always remained optimistic about his upside.. Obviously not on the same league as Cripps but I thought he would actually be good without being elite.

Ben never handled the mental side and pressure of AFL.

Didnt have the work rate or work ethic to get to the level of fitness.

Shame as his skills were elite

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #307 on: September 21, 2021, 09:42:59 AM »

Wrong word. He could be a 10 year player in an elite system or a lamb to the slaughter getting overpaid amidst jealous teammates.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #308 on: September 21, 2021, 04:53:36 PM »
Trade talk: ‘Filthy’ Tigers dig heels in on CCJ

Richmond will play hard ball on a trade for Callum Coleman-Jones, with rival list managers believing the Roos will have to give over pick 20 as the centrepiece of the trade.

The Roos are adamant they will keep that pick and hand over a later selection given Coleman-Jones played only nine games in four years at Richmond.

Richmond were genuinely filthy that former No.20 pick Coleman-Jones decided to move, although Damien Hardwick’s Fox Footy demand for pick one was very much tongue in cheek.

“CJ, for us he’s a required player. He has requested a trade to the Kangaroos which is disappointing but we look forward to receiving pick one coming back our way,” he joked.

North Melbourne could secure “CCJ” in the pre-season draft but players don’t want to use that avenue because it leaves their former club without fair compensation.

Jack Martin and Jackson Hately only used that avenue in recent years after trades fell through at the last minute.

The other bit of leverage the Roos have is departing free agent Robbie Tarrant.

The Tigers would normally trade for North Melbourne defender Tarrant with a late throwaway pick so it didn’t dilute their incoming free agency compensation for Mabior Chol.

That pick might only be a third-rounder but it could help the Tigers move up in the draft order.

The Roos would have to be prepared to do a trade on Tarrant instead of letting him go so it will be up to the Tigers to play nice on a trade.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/moneyball-follow-all-the-latest-trade-contract-draft-and-coaching-news-across-the-afl/news-story/e50d0db5942ae686041a1bdca4664b72

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #309 on: September 21, 2021, 08:10:55 PM »
CCJ was a pick 20. We have put years into him, supported him through the Kebab incident and the past year he has looked like stepping up. If Norf think pick 20 is overs they and CCJ can GAGF. If anything we should make them go out shopping for another first rounder if they don't want to give pick 1 (which I wouldn't expect from them)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #310 on: September 21, 2021, 08:33:18 PM »
We drafted  Coleman Jones around pick 20 , developed him to a stage where he shows good potential. He’s worth pick 20 imho . I would image North would like to keep their first pick in the pre season draft so if I would suggest if it’s a fair trade ,we will get 20 and trade a late 3rd or 4th  round pick back for Tarrant.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #311 on: September 21, 2021, 09:52:52 PM »
We won't get 20 for CCJ unless we send something back at a minimum.

He looks good but has played 9 games and North really doesn't have to be kind to us at all.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #312 on: September 21, 2021, 10:02:41 PM »
The clubs expects at least 20 and they should know his value better than us!

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #313 on: September 21, 2021, 10:32:45 PM »
We won't get 20 for CCJ unless we send something back at a minimum.

He looks good but has played 9 games and North really doesn't have to be kind to us at all.

True on the North front given they have PSD pick 1.  But we paid pick 20 after him playing zero games.  We invested in him for 4 years.  If we don't get at least pick 20 back we are being raped.

Don't discount their 2nd round plus a player.  Maybe Aaron Hall (decent player but at the end of his career).

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #314 on: September 21, 2021, 10:36:53 PM »
The clubs expects at least 20 and they should know his value better than us!

Trade period hasn't even started. It's not like Hardwick is gonna come out and say oh yeah we'll take 38 or 69 for him.

Nor is North going to offer 20 up front.

We'll say 20. They'll say 69. I'd be content with 38 because I recognise we have zero bargaining power now that CCJ has elected to leave and doesn't depend on a trade being agreed by the clubs.